mot fail on wheel bearing

Her indoors car has just failed the mot on O/S wheel bearing. A bit surprising as just had 2 new front tryes on it and test drive there was no vibration at all at "a good" 70 mph :-) (ahem), no steering wander play or strange noises from the wheel itself. Admitedly I didn't check for play at the wheel itself before taking it for the mot test. Does this sound strange to you chaps? Is such a fail given on safety vehicle grounds? thanks

Reply to
dave

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 20:12:06 +0100, dave stammered:

It's purely on play at the wheels as I understand it. My Focus has a noisy bearing. I thought it was going to fail last weekend. I even asked the tester about it when he passed, it - no, if there's no play, it'll pass. Any play, it will fail.

Reply to
Mike P

not quite true it can have a degree of play, but will fail on excessive play or roughness in the bearing.

front suspension & wheel bearings.

reg

Fair enough - thanks for the info.

Reply to
dave

It depends. Some older cars had adjustable front wheel bearings and these are designed to have some play. But most are none adjustable and have no play.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nostalgia! I remember taking out the split pin, turning the nut to the next castellation, and replacing the pin.

Reply to
Gordon H

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:57:10 +0100, reg stammered:

Thanks Reg. I'm still miffed it passed, as it's clearly noisy. I thought that would show up some roughness.. apparently not.

Reply to
Mike P

if it is a driven wheel then it is much harder to feel/hear the roughness by spinning the wheel, it just can't be spun by hand fast enough. Which was one of the good features of the old test, when cars were actually driven to assess their quality as part of the MoT test.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Other thing is failure of these types is rare. Or is on mine. They seems to be a service item on many other cars, not cheap, and often a bugger to replace.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)