D2 rear door wont open

On or around Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:31:05 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

yes, to both. The county council look set to bugger up my main contract, by requiring me to get a private hire licence on the vehicle. This (more specifically the insurance) costs mucho dinero, and they want me to do this BEFORE putting in tenders for work. So, I lay out several K and I MIGHT have work to pay for it. I don't think so. If they want to let us tender, award contracts and THEN we get licensed, that's reasonable. Although in the big picture, all it does is make everything more expensive - it won't improve safety or accountability or anything one iota. In one respect it's liable to make for a less-good service: as one parent pointed out - with me (or in this case my mother) driving the kids, it's a local person who they know doing the job. If Joe's taxis have the job, then presumably they can send any tom, dick or harry who happens to have a driver's badge.

As usual, the low-bid tender system will ensure that for the most part, the job is done to minimum standards. I'm an exception, I take time and take care and make an effort to provide a good service in spite of the low pay, because I like doing it. As, I assume, most of the other private unlicensed contractors do, since otherwise they'd not be doing it.

bureaucracy gone mad...f*ck 'em all. for 2 pins I *would* move to ennzed, can't be any worse.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Its county councils in general. Im also self employed working for schools (so at the whim of the county council too).

Every year we think it may be our last as some councils keep saying everything will be done county wide by tender and the indivdual schools cant employ us even if they want to. We (small company with 3-4 people) can't tender to compete with the likes of RM and Fujitsu Siemens. Thanks local government. Though one of the tendering companies said they might need to take us on as consultants. Now how does that work to make the proposed system financially more sensible?..

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sat, 07 Jul 2007 10:45:24 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

I've more or less decided now: I'll repair and refurbish the 110, repaint it (in purple, natch[1]) and get it licensed. I can't see how they can possibly run the bit I currently do without a feeder vehicle at the least, so I'll be able to tender for that - and the chances are, what with where it is, that no-one else will want it anyway - there are gonna be easier and more local routes for all the others to try for and there aren't that many licensed taxis in the area anyway.

So hopefully I can up the ante, cover the cost of licensing and insurance and get a tad more for meself into the bargain.

I was sorely tempted to say "f*ck'em" and let 'em stew in the juice of their own making. There's a problem with that, though - I actually like doing this work and especially this run (combination of scenery location and people) and to get paid, even poorly, for doing something you'd do anyway is rare enough these days, and another problem - if I quit, "they" have won, and bollocks to that.

[1] one of the schoolkids wants to help paint it and says it should have yellow spots... hmmm. I might consider yellow doorhandles and things, and mebbe mirrors
Reply to
Austin Shackles