MY 1996 CAVALIER WONT START

I think I caused the problem by not letting my car warm up.... its very cold here in Dallas this week due to icy weather... it was warm before that... My car is a 96 cavailier and has 160,000 Miles on it.. Its been a while since ive had a problem... my only major repair has been the transmission... i have had the alternator replaced twice, fan belt, starter replaced (about 2 years ago) and other minor repairs... battery been replaced less than a year ago..last time i got an oil change they suggested i change the spark plugs but i didnt do it...

The past two days my car has been making a bumping or popping sound... to be honest I havent been letting the car warm up and its very cold outside 20 degrees... i just start it and take off (stupid me)...

today, my car would not start at all... it sounds like it is going to start but it just doesnt kick in.. its not totally dead (battery)... no warning lights have come on in my car the past few days ... just the strange sound... last time it was cold a month ago my engine light did come on probbaly bec i didnt let the car warm up enough but the next day it went off and has been fine since...

Could this be something minor? I am hoping it is not the engine... or something i did by not letting the car warm up at all in this cold weather... If it was an engine problem shoudlnt the car at least get started? Can anyone help out there....

Tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
thebigleplowski

Tom, 20 degrees isn't cold. Yesterday morning it was -2=B0 F. I started my car and drove right off (later in the morning when it had warmed up a little) with no problem. Warming up a car is not necessary or even recommended unless it's -30=B0. Even then a short warm up is all that is needed.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Uh, that's not cold, that's chilly. If it hits -40°C, then you can call it cold. I would worry about "not letting it warm up" at those temperatures.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

With your knowlege of cars youshould take it to a good mechanic. The 96 is OBDII compliant and the computer is going to have to be interrigated. Everything on the engine is controlled by the computer so guessing is not an option unless you have unlimited money...

Reply to
Woody

Try checking the timing belt, if you have never replaced it and it has

160000 miles, it is probably due for one. Of course first thing to do is check for spark, then try putting a little gas down the throttle body and see if it runs for a couple of seconds. If it does run like this maybe the fuel pump is bad.
Reply to
The Adams Family

Not warming the car up doesn't do any damage. From your description the engine may need a good tune-up though. And the problem could still be as simple as the battery. A weak battery would still turn the engine over yet not allow the electronics to produce a spark needed to start. Many people are being fooled by this phenomenon that did not exist in the old days of 15 years ago or so.

Reply to
Al Bundy
96 Cavalier has a timing chain not a belt....

Reply to
Woody