Decking a roof rack

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

OK, right this is firm second favorite on grounds of cost and weight. Darren what thickness has been used on yours?

I used marine ply on a trailer rebuild years back, I recall it wasn't cheap then but I'll consider it if it's cheap enough. Other advantage to the grill other than the weight will be the fact it lets light through to the sunroof.

I do like the look of properly varnished wood I have to admit :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Autolycus writes

You could do what we do on the boat roof - apply first coat of paint and while it's still tacky shake in some coarse sand then paint over this. Gives a good anti-slip surface and is much cheaper than using proprietary anti slip paint.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

I put 3/4" marine plywood on my D90's rack and coated it on both sides with paint on truck bed liner. I attached it to the rack with U bolts.

Reply to
Charlie Choc

I don't know enough about

Marine ply is the best grade I think. However, my mate re-did the floor of his car trailer with MP and after about 2 years outdoors it delaminated and now needs re-doing.

I think that chequer plate aluminium is the dogs bollocks for your application.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

About 3/4". It is the phenolic resin faced ply mentioned in another post.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

What about this stuff ?

hairyone

Hang on! Whats the weight limit of the roof rack, I recall reading somewhere that 2 Jerrycans of water pretty much was the heaviest thing you could carry, let alone a couple of kids/adults/picnic-table/ barbeque etc

Reply to
Smudge

Hang on! Whats the weight limit of the roof rack, I recall reading somewhere that 2 Jerrycans of water pretty much was the heaviest thing you could carry, let alone a couple of kids/adults/picnic-table/ barbeque etc

Reply to
Smudge

Smudge uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Looks back at first post..... :-)

I think Landrover say 75 kg loading for pretty much anything mounted gutter upwards... That's slightly lighter than me. This is of course relative to tipping the vehicle when in motion, centre of gravity etc. and bugger all to do with stationary loading. When being used as a viewing platform I belive you can load it to the point the passengers begin to complain or the tryes blow.

Good point though. Anyone care to hazard a guess to the wieght of a 9 ft by

4ft 8 inch board of marine ply at around 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:36:32 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

marine ply is best, otherwise external grade. thickness depends on how much support and how much load. 1/2" is good enough for walking on with support about a foot apart, but it'd be no good if only supported at the edges, for example. with lots of support, you could go down to 3/8" or 10mm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:34:36 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

weldmesh is available in many guises, I rather thought you had solid flooring in mind.

1" sq mesh in 3mm wire would be good, and if galved, last forever.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 27 Feb 2007 05:33:46 -0800, "Smudge" enlightened us thusly:

that's dynamic, not when parked up at an airshow, and it's not quite as restrictive as that. The big problem is reduction in roll-resistance and reduction in side-slope capacity. takes not much load on the rack to reduce the side-slope ability by half....

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:57:07 +0000, Will Wilkinson enlightened us thusly:

that's what I do too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:56:49 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

normal sheets are the metric equivalent of 8'x4'.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

How much was that chequer plate from Switchblade? I'm now toying with this.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

'bout £70 for a sheet of 3mm (IIRC), plus £5 at the place next door to get it cut in the guilloteen to my measurements.

Reply to
Tom Woods

hairyone uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Interesting find but doesn't look quite as robust... h'mmm

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Julian uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Right having been hovering over a bid on ebay for some galv mesh earlier really cheap and consulting the financial manager before committing... the financial manager took one look and also said "Nah ....Chequer plate" ... I mentioned likey cost and got a expression which seemed to support the concept :-D

So I've emailed the local outlet and done some scratch pad math. I can get away with one new sheet.. use part of an old sheet but it leaves a hole (currently in my design) right over the sunroof... which I did consider using a small amount of galv mesh but then came to my senses and thought PING! Waffle boards slid into channels (to secure them) and cover said hole at the same time and let the light through whilst also protecting the sunroof BUT also allowing the waffle boards and Sunroof to be removed for when I go hunting Big game.

Ok so maybe little game from the comfort of the cubby box ;-)

Only down side so far is waffle board storage once covered in Mud... but thats a contingencey I'll work in with the rest of the build.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You're around the Stoke on T area IIRC? I've had a thought. There's a chap that does horse box conversions, just off Jn18 M6 - Chris Holmes, Cheshire Horse Boxes, I think. (I can find a contact # if you want) I know that when he converts the 7.5 ton box vans he normally takes up the Chequer P A from the floor. I bet he has some that he'll let you have at a good price.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

If you're thinking of those fibreglass-style waffle-boards that are a few inches thick, I've got a few of those and used them once. If they're chucked in mud, when lifted up they are solid lumps of mud that are devils to clean and weigh an astonishing amount more.

You can't then put them on the roof of the truck because as you drive along, large square cubes of mud drop out and sit on the roof until you go round a corner, at which point they slide off and can end up going into oncoming traffic, or bouncing along the road behind you to bother the cars behind. There's often lots of stones in the kind of mud that stops a truck.

Some of the metal sand ladders might be better, I've never used those so don't know what their shortcomings are.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings