Defender export specs

I recently came back from a trip to Namibia where I rented a Def TD5 100 station wagon which had steel doors and bonnet (with a spare mounted on it). is that normal spec for the africa export market? I'm pretty sure it had a longer legs than my TD5 - at least there were a lot of hills (even in towns) it wouldn't mount in HR. It cruised at

120kph with 2500rpm Are the steel bonnets available from LR? - I'd like to put a spare on my bonnet, but its plastic (UK spec).
Reply to
John Stolz

As a Land Rover owner you, presumably, wouldn't be mislead by a Santana.

It's more likely to be a South African produced LR than a UK export with a special bonnet.

Reply to
Dougal

Please! ;-)

I asked the owner of the company and they buy all their vehicles direct from LR. Indeed they buy half their fleet with UK registrations - apparently it makes crossing local borders easier. It wasn't just the bonnet, the doors were all steel too. They don't manufacture LR in SA surely?

Reply to
John Stolz

On or around Sat, 03 Nov 2007 08:20:18 +0100, John Stolz enlightened us thusly:

they certainly used to.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

When I lived out there in South Africa in the 90s you could buy the Defender 90 with the 130KW (yes KW) 2.8l bmw engine. I would still like to own one, although I wonder how it compares to the v8?

Reply to
madhatchetman

I dropped a Toyota 1KZTE into a Disco a couple of years ago for a friend. After an ECU upgrade to give it around 140kW it went at least as well as the V8 it replaced with significantly less fuel use.

Reply to
EMB

Land Rover used to produce Defenders and I think Disco I's in SA. For a while, Defenders came with an option of a 2.8l petrol BMW engine instead of the TDi.

I think production stopped about 3 years ago, as they wanted the factory for assembling Ford's or Mazda's I think.

The defender is still assembled in Zimbabwe from CKD's, and still come with 300Tdi. Quality is iffy - a friend bought one, and on our first trip, bits started falling off the dashboard on the passengers side where they hadn't fitted it correctly! We found the screws on the floor.

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter