Wheel Bearing Play

How much play is acceptable in a wheel bearing?

My 90 is knocking from the Near side rear, mainly when i go over a bump or round a left hand bend ie the weight is taken from it.

If i grab the top of the wheel, and push/pull there is a fair bit of play there.

Ill have a proper look tomorrow - How much play should there be?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

"Mark Solesbury" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Not that much mate!

Reply to
Nige

Ill sort that in the morning

thanks mate

Hope everyone is well.

Got your new motor yet?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I had the same on my 110 rear a month or so ago, The LR workshop manual goes on about end float etc, can't be arsed with that (nor have I an dial) so I just did it so I could "just" feel movement at the top / bottom with wheel on, and a week later it passed its MOT, it was a bit of a ba**tard to get right, cos as soon as you tighten up the outer lock nut, the whole thing tightens up and you have to start again. So make it a bit looser with the inner nut, then you should be right.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

What Andrew said.

On the Disco the nearside was much looser than offside and was, as he says. a right bastard to get just right. The offside just set first time as though I were a 'real' mechanic ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Barely detectable - and make sure it is the wheel bearings not the swivel bearings - they should have none.

JD

Reply to
JD

If he's got swivel bearing on the NS rear wheel then he owns a very unique vehicle.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sat, 03 Nov 2007 15:11:10 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

If I ever get the tuits to build the 6WD 4WS, it will have.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Let that be a lesson to me to read the post more closely!

JD

Reply to
JD

Zactly my point.