different horses for 2.25 donk

looking at the june issue of land rover owner internastional on the second-hand price guide thingy i noticed that there are three different hp values for the 2.25 litre petrol engine. in the s2 it gave out 77hp and so did the early s3 petrols. then it changed to the five-bearing engine (was this the same time as it changed the compression ratio from 7:1 to 8:1?) in

1980 and subsequently gave out 86hp. then the early 90/110's with the 2.25 petrol only had 74hp. what caused this drop? i know the holden 202 in australia had a 15% power drop after tougher emmision controls came in. there lazy response was to tune down the cam or something to make it comply but ended up with a particularly gutless engine. so my two questions are,

1)what caused this drop in the 2.25 petrol from the series 3 to the 90/110?

2)what is the difference between a three main-bearing engine and a five main-bearing engine.

thanks.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

I've only ever seen 77hp quoted for the 2.25 pertrol engine, but I have one out of a 90 in my 88, and it has a *lot* more go than "standard" engines , possibly due to the twin choke carb - it is also a bit more thirsty!!

Richard

Reply to
postmaster

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 19:10:20 +1000, "samuel mcgregor" spilled forth with the follow words of wisdom:

The spec they mesured HP to changed to a tighter one...IIRC They used DIN for the 90/110, and I think it was SAE or SEA spec on the earlier engines...

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan Allen

1) I do believe for the 90/110 the 90 engine was slightly tuned down. The 110 remained at 86 hp. Come to think of it, I think they did this in the S3's somewhere along the line too. 2) My guess would be roundabout two bearings.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.