Disco still not getting warm?

Had the Disco in to the garage as it wasn't warming up, it needed loads of water in the cooling system, a bleed through and a new temp gauge sender unit. Gauge now rises to the normal mid point after a run but the heater is still blowing cold in the cabin. If I accelerate I hear a gurgling from behind the dash, the garage reckon it could be a blocked heater matrix or possibly a further airlock.

Any ideas chaps?

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

Yeah... pull off one of the heater hoses preferably the higher one if there is such a thing.. Bung the hosein it and then fill to get rid of all air, faster than a fast thing reapply hose. Try and do it on a slope such that the front bumper is higher up than the rear end thus forcing any air in the heater up to the hoses.

Get some one to run a nice warm bath... you'll need it after,... baltic out there... just going now to winterise the caravan.

Good luck.

Reply to
Lee_D

take off the header tank cap and fill to top with coolant then start engine and rev it a few times at about 2000rpm for 20 secs bursts , you should see the air come out .

if that doesnt work slacken off one of the heater hoses at highest point , either see if air comes out and water follows or if you like get a jhug and pour water into hose and then chuck hose onto heater connection quickly .

Reply to
m0bcg

Well it is winter :)

My series 3 is not going to go past the blue zone till next spring lest I disconnect the fan or sommat desperate. One of these days I really will get round to replacing it with an electric one, and no Mr Beamends, a piece of cardboard will do as a radiator muff.

Heaters ???? you disco owners are going soft :)

Reply to
Larry

I am now one of the soft disco owners. However I was using a Ser111 as my daily driver until about a year ago and I well remember driving up Van Reenens pass on my way to Johannesburg at two in the morning in mid winter. I pulled into the road side diner and when trying to drink my coffee, ended up spilling half of it over the dash my hands were shaking so much.

Then there was that draft in the neck thing and the standard issue poncho for when the rain came down.

That being said however, I am starting to really miss the old bitch. She was a dream in traffic (no taxis would try anything and those that did would be very sorry)

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

On or around Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:22:37 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Cooke" enlightened us thusly:

is the coolant staying up to level?

if so, and if there ar no leaks... IME you need to get it fully warmed up and run it hard up a hill in third or something.

It can take a while to get the heater to go again.

loads of water needed is generally a dodgy sign, though - mostly means it's leaking somewhere. Was it pressure-tested, and/or once the engine's hot, do you get significant pressure in the cooling system?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:13:30 +0200, fanie enlightened us thusly:

one of the minor amusements with any LR (cept a freeloader) is the ability to drop it into low-1 in traffic jams and piss everyone else off by trickling along at about 1 mph.

If you wish to amuse onlookers, you can start it rolling thusly, then open the door and climb out, and steer by walking alongside...

When I had a soft-top one, I used sometimes to sit on the top of the seat and look out over the top of the windscreen...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Andrew,

My mechanic here has his own system of refilling the rad, which he says is the only way to get rid of the airlocks. Turn heater controls to fully on. Remove the plugs from the top of the radiator and the thermostat housing. Then fill expansion tank with water, apply lips to expansion tank opening and blow! (Here in Zimbabwe we have people to do jobs like this!) Wait for bubbles to stop coming out of radiator and refit plug. Top up expansion tank, and repeat blowing until no further air comes out of thermostat housing. Refit plug, check level of coolant and hopefully you will have an airfree system.

Don't know if it will cure yuor problem, but it certainly seems to get the air out.

Cheers! Graham Carter

Reply to
Graham Carter

Andy, are the heater hoses themselves getting hot?, you say you can hear gurgling from behind the dash which usually means that coolant IS circulating through the heater matrix.

If one heater pipe is hot and the other nearly cold - usually means partial blockage in Matrix, if both pipes just about equally hot - then possibility of control cable/lever having become detached/broken from heater vent control behind dash, allowing incoming air to bypass the heater matrix ie stuck on 'cold blow'

Lofty.

Lofty