Disco Tranny Question

I have a 2001 Disco. I took her off road this weekend and on the way home I noticed the engine was reving pretty high. At least I think it is, could be my imagination. Anyway, I was hoping some of you can help me out.

When I'm doing 50, the RPM's are at 2750. At 65-70 it runs about 3500 RPM. When I let off the gas at high speed, the RPM's do not drop down, the engine slows down the car. Is this normal? I can't remember if it was like this before taking it off road, probably because I was paying close attention on the way home for anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks, everyone.

Jamie

Reply to
Jim

Thats a Disco II isn't it? Diesel or petrol, manual or auto?

My DII TD5 Manual does about 2300rpm at 100kph (62mph).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Same here Dll TD5 manual, 3000rpm at 100kph in 4th.

Reply to
nemo2

so Jim was, like...

How disappointing. I thought this was going to be a thread about cross-dressing men in night clubs.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I get the impression it's an auto? If so, try this. Select 1, pull away to about 15-20mph, select 2 and note that the gearchange occurs, accelerate to 45ish and select 3, again note that the gearchange does happen, accelerate to 65ish and select D and observe for change up into 4th. Sounds as if it's sticking in 3 anbd not going into 4th, road test as above will confirm. if this is the case, get it onto testbook/rovacom/autologic diagnostics and check for gearbox fault codes. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In message , Jim writes

Low ratio?

But seriously if auto it could well not be changing out of 3rd.

Reply to
Marc Draper

In LR and 5th I don't think I could get to 40mph before the governer kicked in, let alone 50 or 67-70! And I wouldn't want to go that fast in LR anyway...

Without furtherinfo about the car we are stuffed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice