distributors

From 1980 the duciellier distributor superseded the lucas 45d4 type witch is fully interchangeable also vehicles from 1980 have a single timing pointer fixed to the front timing cover and a scale of five notches on the crankshaft pulley.

Reply to
Adrian Ford

Are there different types of distributors for 2.25 petrols? I removed the distributor from my broken engine and fitted onto my new one. However in the new engine was a circular cylinder type thing with gear teeth on the bottom which sat in the engine. My dizzy wouldn't fit, so I removed it and put in the part that came from the old engine, which has no teeth on it but slotted into the notches. Everything marries up and appears OK but I'm a little curious asto what the difference is and to find out if I've made a bit of a c*ck up!

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Pacman

When we changed ours there were two makes. Lucas and Duecillier (spelt something like that!) ours was a 1979 and it had the latter. Richard

Reply to
Richard

There are at least two types of Lucas distributor plus Ducellier. All are interchangeable. JD

Reply to
JD

There are two basic types - Lucas and Ducellier. The Lucas unit has had two flavours over the years, neither of which is now available (parts are though). New units are Ducellier, however, all three types are a striaight swap. Beware of those who say Mini distrubiutors can be fitted, they are the same but have a different drive dog.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:02:42 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

you should be able to swap the drive dog over though...

I successfully fitted a 45D4 electronic distributor from a 2-litre O series engine to the LR 2.5 4-cyl.

Reply to
Austin Shackles