Driving lamps UK

Does anyone know the legalities of fitting driving/spot lamps on a vintage landie.

I see lots of them around with a whole array of lamps on the roof rack, but these would be illegal to use on road I guess ?

Reply to
Larry

Technically as long as they dip automatically when you dip your headlights they're legal, as while there is a maximum height for your dipped beam lights (1200mm), there is no maximum height or maximum number of lights that are on when you're on main beam.

Source:

more specifically:
The relevant parts of the latter page being secion 10(a) which is the bit about going off when you dip your headlights and "Part II" which declares that "any number may be fitted".

That's my interpretation, anyway. IANAL.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

I got mine wired through a relay so they only come on with main beam

Ady

Reply to
ady

I had suspected something like that, I had intended to wire them to a relay operated off the dip beam.

Incidentally the main beam was not working tonight anyway, the wire has come adrift from the switch and seeing as the connection is a soldered one the best I could do is wrap it round the joint and crimp it with a pair of pliars in the absence of having a power supply for a soldering iron.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:56:49 +0100, Paul Everett enlightened us thusly:

you're only allowed 2 dipped ones, but as many spotlamps as you want provided they a) go off when you switch to dipped beam and b) don;t shine backwards when the vehicle is in motion.

white worklights are acceptable ont he back but shouldn't work with the vehicle in motion.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That would explain why I've never failed an MOT with my rooflights :-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee