Engine swap or part ex?

Hi All, I have a 1988 90 with a later Defender 200TDI fitted. (Out of Interest, it used to belong to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall of River Cottage fame, and was used in a couple of the series) After going on a pay and play day last weekend, and hearing a 90 with petrol V8 and sports exhaust being caned around the quarry, I would like to do an engine swap.

My questions are three fold.

1, Does anyone here have a good condition V8 and necessary bits to swap / part ex for a recently rebuilt 200TDI (less than 1000 miles ago it had new pistons, big end bearings, valves reground, head skimmed new timing belt.) 2, Is it a straight forward job (gearbox etc?) and what MPG would I get.

3, Am I taking the p*ss with question 1?

cheers

Colin

Reply to
cg

Is that the one that was given away in a competition? IIRC it had a knackered engine hence the 200tdi?

no - sounds like a sensible swap - the 200tdi is probably more desirable than the v8 in many ways!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes, thats the one, the 200tdi is the one that got damaged, it lost a head gasket and a couple of pistons picked up a bit, so i had it rebuilt

Reply to
cg

cg uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Sell it

Buy one with a V8

It's lots less hastle.

:-)

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:26:25 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

doesn't make the sunroof not leak, though... only sure way to do that is buy one without a sunroof :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
LR90

I think , after agonising over it all weekend, i am going to sell it when i have finished tidying it up. I love the thing to bits, it is the only thing i have ever driven, that causes me to break out in a spontaneus smile, but tax, insurance, MOT space in the garden etc. for a car that i only drive once week at most, can't be justified.

When i sell it, i won't get the friendly wave from other defender drivers anymore, and i will regret my decision every time i see a defender on the road. but it just aint practical.

cheers 8-((

Colin

Reply to
cg