Ex-Mil Series - Many left?

Just wondering how many fields remain full of ex-mil Series Landies waiting to be filtered in to the market. Or have then now moved on mainly to Coil sprung ones? I see alot of the Ex-mil suppliers do Coiled stuff but it doesn't seem the same amount of fields full exist or is it just my perception.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The fields full of Series III's was due to the army selling off their remaining leaf sprung motors when the Wolf contract was delivered. Pre-Wolf Defenders were cascaded down to TA units etc.

Doubtless there will be some unit somewhere that still has a Series motor for some reason, but officially they are no longer in service.

The aforementioned fields full may still be there to an extent, but I'd suspect that it would be difficult to find a vehicle anywhere near complete - not least as very many of then were not even complete when released. Plus the vast majority were

109's, which are getting very difficult to shift and so will probably be canabalised before being scrapped. I managed to get two from one of the fields that finished up with Rainbow Rovers, but even 5 years ago finding one complete was difficult (a lot of then had aluminium door tops, which were inevitably missing).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

is there not likely to be a big surge in the number of ex-mil landies availabe when they finish doing all this stupid fighting in iraq/afganistan?

I was after some military lights for the 101 and the guy at hinstock (ex-mil supplier) said 'come back when theyre done in iraq and i'll have been able to get some more in!'

Reply to
Tom Woods

|| is there not likely to be a big surge in the number of ex-mil landies || availabe when they finish doing all this stupid fighting in || iraq/afganistan?

Hmmm. The term "project" rather than "daily driver" comes to mind.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I think this may be another way of saying "When hell freezes over"..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

there's lenses on fleabay #260034354098 and the usual

not many complete units about tho'

Derek

I wouldn't expect so, on 2 counts:

  1. The Wofl's are intended to give 15 years service.

  1. No one's ever got out of Afganistan[1], except by giving up.

[1] And we should know, it's the only country the British Empire could never pacify.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Ah! Soon them, since The Eagles have just toured...... :-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd