Forest Wire Kits

Does anybody know of a source for Forest Wire Kits in the UK who aren't Scorpion racing?

AFAICT they are just 1/4" Stainless Steel wire, some eyelets, a couple of turnbuckles and some mounting hardware - I suspect I can get something from a yacht chandler for a bit less than the "official" kits which will do the job.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Twas Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:09:49 +0100 when "Paul S. Brown" put finger to keyboard producing:

I made my own with parts from a farm-supplies place (I use it regularly, B&Q will probably have what you need.

A couple of lengths of wire as thick as you like, a couple of fence tensioners,

4 eye bolts, 4 of those things you fold the wire back on itself to ease the strain, teardrop shaped things. 8 wire clamps (like tiny exhaust clamps).

I fitted the eye bolts to the outer corners of my bullbars and to the upper front corners of my roof rack. common-sense to fit, work very well and cheap.

This was on my old 110, I've not fitted any yet to my current 110 due to the lack of roofrack and bullbars, I intend fitting some very thick wing-top protectors and running them from the front of them to the gutters or maybe a small bar accross the roof.

Worth remembering that there can be quite a pulling force on the mounting points when you drive through a very overgrown route.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Through the corner of my eye - your post looks like the headline "Forest Fire - Wilts" and after all this rain too!

Reply to
mark hh

I'm planning on using the roofrack itself as a mounting point at the top of the run.

As for the bottom end, I'm thinking about fabricating some kind of brackets to be attached to the wings with load spreaders on the inside of the wing itself.

We shall see. Tonights project is drilling lots of holes across the roof to mount spotlights (Dexion strip on the inside of the roof as a load spreader. Tomorrows is trying to put together a mount for a couple of Allmakes Jerrycan holders for the roofrack. That one looks like being interesting to do.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Twas Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:18:17 +0100 when "Paul S. Brown" put finger to keyboard producing:

Ideal.

My intent also, combination of beefy wing-top protection plates and somehting underneath also.

hmm, drip drip drip are words that spring to mind.

my old 110 had a sunroof that leaked no matter what I tried with silicone. I now never put holes in the roof.

sounds like a good-day to me.

many of the lanes I use here have low obstacles (trees mostly) so I don't fit the roof-rack except for camping trips when the extra space is needed.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Have you been decked for chyslexia?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Sticky backed plastic?????? Washing up bottle????? And not forgetting the empty cereal box, with 'kellogs' blanked out!

Reply to
SimonJ

Pardon my supreme ignorance, but what IS a "wire kit" - I haven't seen one on a 101....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Umm

Wouldn't work very well on a 101.

They're the heavy gauge steel wires you often see on tooled up Defenders running from the tip of the wings to the front of the roofline whose purpose is to deflect branches over the top of the car rather than through the windscreen.

To use one on an FC101 you'd have to introduce a bonnet and thus rather lose the FC element.

P.

Who suspects he's being gently trolled

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Paul S. Brown wrote: .

I genuinely didn't know. Thanks for the clarification !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Twas Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:19:44 +0000 (UTC) when "SimonJ" put finger to keyboard producing:

Used a corn-flakes box as a cylinder head gasket once, does that count?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Paul...

Did I miss the thread where you mentioned you were intending to set off on a round the world expedition - or have things got really serious in Buckinghamshire these days?

Reply to
Mother

Remember also that they'd be highly illegal to use on the public highway.

Reply to
Mother

I hope you got an adult to help you cut it out?

Reply to
SimonJ

So SimonJ was, like

With a pair of blunt scissors, gloves and eye protection, I hope.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Actually, I'm planning taking some time out in the future and doing as much travelling as I can.

Also, there are a few land owners I'm friendly with up in Scotland who are willing (with a little liquid persuasion) to let me run through some untended forestry areas.

This motor is my toy, so it's a case of do things to it when I don't have the time or location to drive it.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

How so?

Reply to
SimonJ

I would have thought they would cut pedestrians in half.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Damn you Brookman! I'm keeping a tally of the keyboards you've laid waste...

Reply to
Mother

To do that the pedestrian must have been leaning across the bonnet, with their head in line with the windscreen!

The wires don't actually go outside the shape of the vehicle, if you could get yourself into a position where you would be hit by the wire, you would be hit by the vehicle anyway.

Reply to
SimonJ