Freelander Hill Descent - Electronics

I have a 2001 1,8 petrol freelander.

The Hill Descent light that warns of brakes over-heating remains permanently on. It switches on about 2 minutes after engine start-up. The manual says this light will flash orange to indicate hot brakes as a result of over working this control feature.

When this light comes-on (permanent orange) I cannot then engage hill descent control (the green light next the orange is meant to switch on, so starting this electronic abs control feature).

There is no physical affect on the vehicle when this orange light switches on ?

Agents appear confused after a few attempts to reprogramme relevant software and now recommend a hardware replacement (EPU) costing about R 13 000 (1200 UK pounds or $ 1 800). I can buy 2 pCs with software for this amount.

Ian Juul Juul & Associates

Tel (021) 976 7024 Fax (021) 976 5499 Cel 082 469 2726

Reply to
Ian

Ian Hi,

I would suggest you take a closer look on the accelerator pedal. It HAS to have a slack ("play") in order for the ABS/HDC to operate properly.

A good friend and fellow member of the LR club of Greece had a similar problem with the HDC light coming and staying on and it turned out the slack ("play") on the accelerator pedal's was not adjusted properly.

The dealer wanted to change his ABS ECU but properly adjusting this item sorted the problem out.

Hope this helps Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

My Advise, sell the damn car as soon as possible.

Reply to
jamsan