Defender 200tdi Gearbox - Leaking Oil...

1992 200 tdi defender - LT77(s?) gearbox. 150,000 miles

OK, I know Landrovers are built to drop oil any mine is no exception!

However,there seems to be excessive oil on the outside of the casing coming from somewhere around the uppermost part of the gearbox (just below where the lever goes in), this is then running / spreading down both sides of the gearbox making it a sticky black mess!

On short runs its not a problem, on longer runs it stinks when it gets hot and the Mrs complains about the drips on the drive so time to fix it I think!!

Is this a common problem with them and how easy is it to replace the relevant gaskets and or seals?? Having taken the tunnel off last night it doesnt look that bad a job (famous last words!).

It drive's OK and there is no apparent leaking between said box and bell-housing or box and t/box.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon