front bumper

i have recently acquired a s3 lwb that has at some stage been painted a darkish green colour. the goose that did it went and painted the whole bloody thing. door handles, roof-rack, everything. the most annoying part is the front bumper. i am now trying to get the paint off the front bumper but am unsure of the best approach as i don't want to remove the galvanising aswell. so, what is the best way of removing the paint will leaving the galv. intact?? any ideas? or am i simply going to have to sand it right off, and get it regalvanised??

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Use paint stripper JD

Reply to
JD

Well, in my experience the paint usually falls off a galvanised surface unless it's been well prepd beforehand so try pressure washing it. Failing which, try strippers. You'll buy a replacement bumper for less than the cost of blasting and regalvanising though.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

The previous owner wasn't the Army by any chance? We are currently removing LOTS of paint from our 101 Ambi (about 14 layers) and that is on the door handles, rubber window seals, all the galvanised bits & the bumper........

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

On or around Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:14:37 +1100, "samuel mcgregor" enlightened us thusly:

suitable paint stripper.

or buy a bumper from Paddock's, seeing as they're only about 40 quid.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I cleaned the paint off my bumper with an angle grinder with a wire brush on. It didnt take any of the galvanising off (3 years later and its still not rusty anyhow). The bumpers seem to be fairly heavy duty, and i think it takes a lot to remove the galv. Was easier and cheaper than using paint stripper too.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I must admit I remember painting landrovers for camoflage use at RAF Stafford when I was in my youth. Ah heddy days.

regards C8205535 SAC JN OAKES EX RAF

Reply to
John Nicholas Oakes

On or around Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:52:30 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

just a word of caution - those wire brush wheels are potentially lethal. You really do need proper eye protection, and preferably a full face mask.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

no. wasn't the army. some greek dude that made some really shitty modifications to the beast. the most hideously ugly roof-rack i have ever set eyes on. the most dodgy looking gas-conversion i have ever seen (filler pipe for the gas tank sits below the aluminuim skirt under the door, held in place with a single piece of wire. tacked on switches in the cabin in really bad positions. has created the biggest mess of wiring. put a 3.3 litre holden straight six (a very common conversion in aus) and unnecessarily shifted the grille about 10cms forward and did a shoddy job of it, aswell as a pathetic job of extending the bonnet. now has an extra piece riveted onto the front. put she's my baby now, so no more harm shall come of her.

in conlclusion, it was not an ex-army car. they would treat their vehicles with more respect than the previous owner did.

cheers.

sam.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

GOOD! Do you feel better now that off your chest it so rewarding to have rant now and then. I always use "What next" as my opening line.

regards John Landy90 1984

Reply to
John Nicholas Oakes

And make sure the brush is rated for the speed your grinder can reach. I've a lovely-looking and never-used wire twists brush that's only rated to 8000 rpm, when my 4.5" grinder can do 11000 ...

Reply to
QrizB