Heater blower in 1990 Disco

Anyone know how difficult it is to remove & replace the above, Hayne's suggests whole dash out to remove & split the heater box, is it worth trying with just removing centre console & the heater control panel which seems on the early Disco to be quite a large access panel to that area. PS I fitted some of them 60%(claimed) brighter xenon H/lamp bulbs...& what a difference...white lines are white at night. Chris

1990 Disco 200Tdi
Reply to
Merlin©

tell us more plz

Reply to
mark

They were H4 60/55 ultra xenon made by Ring part no. rw 972. £ 18.99 Available at motor acc shops, mine where from motorworld amongst all the white, blue,blue tinge etc boy racer bits. They really have improved the illumination and were well worth it. Chris

1990 Disco 200 Tdi
Reply to
Merlin©

In article , Merlin© writes

Yes you do need to remove the dash.

Have you looked into availability of a replacement unit?

Last time I looked for one I was told by Land Rover that they were no longer made and considered obsolete.

Not alot of use.

Reply to
marc

Also,

Try

I have the Vision+ fitted - awesome..and totally legal ;-)

Neil

1990 Disco 200 Tdi
Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:09:02 -0000, "mark" enlightened us thusly:

sounds a bit like the Philips "vision plus" and other similar.

Standard 60/55W bulb, I think they use a different as inside which allows it to run a higher filament temperature than "normal" halogens, without failing faster. They do make a nice bright light, and don't overload the wiring and switches, nor are they illegal, as 100/80W ones do and are, for modern vehicles at least, although to be sure you're pretty unlikely to get caught for it.

Don't confuse with all these silly (IMHO) "Ice white" or similar bulbs, which are a normal bulb with a variously blue filter to raise the colour temperature - of course, what they don't tell you is that in filtering out the reds and greens to get a blue-s**te light, you're reducing the actual light output. In some cases by quite a lot. the very blue-looking ones are IMO dangerous for use as headlamps and should be banned - I've seen some, and the amount of light on the road is frighteningly low, compared to my "50% brighter" Philips ones. I guess if you want 'em for spotlights for posing purposes, they're OK.

the proper extra-bright ones have clear glass envelopes (although the Philips vision plus has a narrow pale-blue band around the bulb, for what reason I'm not entirely clear), and variously claim to be xenon, though of course they're not gas-discharge lamps. Beware of the older "30% brighter" ones, which ain't so good, at similar money...

gas-discharge is possible as a retro-fit, but AIUI they're only legal if you have a self-levelling system.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

yep, my local dealer told me the same this afternoon, maybe they can be reworked or possibly a Maestro one might do as the early disco's were part's bin models weren't they Chris

1990 Disco 200 Tdi
Reply to
Merlin©

Had to repair mine!

Made by Delco, possibly Vauxhall?

HTH

Reply to
Oily

On or around Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:37:54 +0000 (UTC), "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

highly likely that you can find a similar motor. I had a motor go on a sherpa minibus, turned out to be identical to a vauxhall cavalier one, except that the cavvy had 3 speeds, instead of 2. hunt in the breakers, ISTR the vauxhalls mostly have the heater blower motor easily accessible under the bonnet.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:52:56 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

I think part of the point is that they won't sell you a new motor. sometimes, you can get 'em going again, depends what's wrong with it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Hi,

I am sure that if the motor is removed from its housing an exact replacement will be found very easily at a specialized retailer.

Alternatively it can be rewound, replace the carbon contacts with new ones, lubricate the bearing surface and get it to as good as new condtion.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

And of course you can always remove your unit, remove the damaged motor and either repair the motor or replace it with a new one.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Good news today, found at my near local scrappy a 200tdi with heater box intact. 30 quid + the dreaded , gonna get it ....also means I get practice at removing a dash prior to doing mine Chris

1990 Disco 200tdi
Reply to
Merlin©

Chris does it also have the instrument panel binnacle? Not the instruments themselves but the cover with the switches.

Is it a blue or a beige interior?

If it is a beige one and the instrument binnacle is there please let me know whether you can remove it also and I can pay for it and your time (and postage of course)

Please let me know.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

It's Beige, but in various states of dissassembly, will look for you, its either gone, in theback or I will need to remove it anyway...will let u know Chris

1990 Disco 200Tdi (bloody cold at the mo')
Reply to
Merlin©

Chris thanks.

Take care Pantelis