Fuel Consumption RR V8

i have a 1987 RR V8 EFI and am concerned about how much fuel it drinks.

Im not expecting the MPG of my golf, but it is well thirsty and i want to know if it right!!

This morning, put £20 of unleaded into her. Fuel gage reads half.

Drove to friends house and back, then into town. (about 25 miles total.)

Fuel gage now reads quater.

Is this right? Im 90% sure that the guage reads ok. The "i need more money thrown at me to go anywhere" light comes on as it should....

25 miles to a tenner??

Any Ideas? Thanks

Mark.(Poor)

Reply to
mark solesbury

Twas Sun, 30 May 2004 19:55:26 +0100 when "mark solesbury" put finger to keyboard producing:

My fuel guage on the 110 takes 250 miles to get from full to half, then runs to the red after 100 miles.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Gauge means nothing. Do a proper consumption check. Expect 17 or 18 mpg on average, 14 around town if you are lucky. What do you expect?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Twas Sun, 30 May 2004 20:42:01 +0100 when "Huw" put finger to keyboard producing:

to work out mpg I fill it to the top at the garage, then drive normally as long as my nerve allows, usually into the red. then fill up again, working out from the amount it took to fill and the mileage in between.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sun, 30 May 2004 20:42:01 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

half-to-quarter on my disco is something between 60 and 80 miles.

You need to do a proper check, though, like the man says.

fill 'er full 'til the pump cuts, zero the trip (or note mileage) drive a suitable distance, fill again as before, divide mileage by fuel added at the second filling (and then multiply by 4.54 to get mpg, if you're fuel's measures in litres...)

but it sounds to me that it's running way rich. Replace the air cleaner element if that hasn't been done and then if it's still guzzling more'n it should start checking things. Cold start system would be favourite for that sort of error as a first guess.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So not enough air, ill replace the filter and see how it goes.

Cheers Austin.

Reply to
mark solesbury

youll probably get 10-12mpg from cold starts on short journeys and about

15-18mpg on long steady runs .

any use of heavy right foot will sink the mpg drastically .

the only way to get any sort of fuel economy from a rover v-8 is to go light on the throttle and stick to low speeds .

Reply to
M0bcg

On or around Mon, 31 May 2004 11:42:26 +0100, "mark solesbury" enlightened us thusly:

well... that's the first step... if it's still thirsty afterwards, you have to look at putting it on a crypton and measuring it, really. You could I guess find out if the cold-start system is still live with the engine warm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 31 May 2004 11:15:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (M0bcg) enlightened us thusly:

did you catch Clarkson last night doing London to Edingburgh and back on a tankful of juice in a big sod-off V8 audi?

got about 40 mpg from it, which is impressive in something that probably normally returns low 20s.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Was it the Audi A8? 'Cos that comes with a choice of two V8s, petrol or diesel :-)

QrizB

Twas a V8 of the diesel variety

Reply to
mark solesbury

Coming back from Northampton t'other night I was tired, pissed off and generally not up for motorway madness so I sat behind HGV's all the way home at 55-60 mph and (according to the computer) averaged 66 mpg. If I'd been trying I guess I could have topped 70mpg - I'll have to try that next time!

Passat 1.9 TDi 130bhp, not the Discovery I hasten to add!! The sixth gear does seem to make quite a difference to it as well. By my maths I reckon the Passat would do Edinburgh and back as well (IIRC the tank is about 13 gallons. I wonder what average speed Clarkson was doing - looked to me like he was slower than the HGV's, so 50-55mph I guess.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I do think the Disco TD5 could do with a 6-speed box. It's not quite long-legged enough in 5th. I'm going to put 5% larger tyres on, which will help a bit but not much. There doesn't seem to be an overdrive available - there is for Defender TD5 but apparently not enough room on the Disco box. Shame, unless anybody knows otherwise of course.

David

Reply to
David French

Hey, it's a Land Rover. With enough enthusiasm (and a large enough hammer) I'm sure it'll fit :-)

Reply to
QrizB

On or around Mon, 31 May 2004 15:09:43 +0100, "mark solesbury" enlightened us thusly:

ah. I didn't see the beginning of the item. but even so, and granting that it's probably got a monster fuel tank, Edinburgh and back on a tankful is not bad, in summat that big.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There's a few people now fitted higher ratio gears into their TD5 transfer box on Defenders. They are fitted with a 1.4 ratio as standard and a set of 1.2 gears are cheaper than an overdrive. I don't know if the Discovery uses 1.4 ratio but it's an option....

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White