fuel sender

My fuel sender is one of the few new things on my landie, and has never behaved very well but now it seems to have gone into permanent rebellion, instisting the tank is full.

Short of taking it out, what could be the trouble, I am guessing electrical rather than mechanical, I assume that the more resistance the fuller it reads, so maybe a dogy connection ?

It is annoying because I have no idea how much petrol is in the tank as it won't budge at all.

Reply to
Larry

It would help if you said what model Landrover you had. High resistance will lead to a zero reading, so reading full indicates a short. However, another possible cause is that the voltage regulator for the gauge(s) is either faulty or has a bad earth. For Series Landrovers this is a small box behind the gauges, but I think it is integral with the gauge in 90/110, and probably Disco as well. JD

Reply to
JD

It's a series 3

I have tried disconnecting the erth at the back and it makes no difference.

If I were to put a test meter on the sender what sort of reading should it give as a general guide if it is nearer empty than full ?

Similarly if I put a meter on the guage what should that say ?

Larry

Reply to
Larry

difference.

H'mmm the voltage regulator has a bi-metalic strip which in effect pulses similar to an indicator. The average output being 10.4 volts on a correctly working regulator.. But they do kick out more then less then more then less then more then less if you get my drift. now if it's stuck in the on position then you will get the full hit and 1/4 of a tank would probably read full. So my money is on a duff voltage regulator.

Simple enough to check though.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D