GPS Systems

Forgive my ignorance but which (if any) GPS systems allow you to put in OS co-ordinates as your destination? There loads of green lanes described in LRO magazine and they always give the OS ref, it would be really easy to tap into the GPS and let it guide you to the start/end of the lane.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Almost any GPS will allow you to do this - don't confuse a GPS with in-car SatNav type devices. Many lanes do not have a postcode ;-)

A word of caution. LRO will probably have many listed which are now restricted or closed. Drive them at risk of prosecution. Far better to join a local club or the Green Lane Association so you can be sure of correct, up-to-date information and be led to lanes which are not only legal, but fine to drive without causing any damage.

Reply to
Mother

I bought a Garmin Quest as that was the only one that was at a reasonable price which allowed me to navigate by OS references. I don't think you can do it the same way as my old Garmin GPS 12 used to where you used to manually enter, now you just simply "scroll" round the map with the pointer until you get to the OS ref you want and then just press save. Piece of cake and thoroughly recommended. The old GPS 12 is still ok though, (And I'm selling mine if you want it!!)

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

|| The old GPS 12 is still ok though, (And I'm selling mine if you want || it!!) || || Dave

Baby costing that much already?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Very droll......

She's actually making us money. =A320 notes in cards etc etc, I had to borrow =A330 quid off her today so I could go and get a couple of tonnes of grit to lay the workshop floor. I'll pay her back though!

We've thought of a name by the way.........Cadi , nice innit?! Middle name Alice.

It is pure coincidence that her initials are CAR!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

She's actually making us money. £20 notes in cards etc etc, I had to borrow £30 quid off her today so I could go and get a couple of tonnes of grit to lay the workshop floor. I'll pay her back though!

We've thought of a name by the way.........Cadi , nice innit?! Middle name Alice.

It is pure coincidence that her initials are CAR!

Dave

Many congratulations on the new addition. Alice - great name, but Cadi? I'm trying to work out how to pronounce it. Short 'a' and it's Caddy - as in someone wot carries the bats during a round of golf. Long 'a' and it's Caahdi - which sounds like the fawn-coloured knitwear my granny used to wear. Make it a long 'a' and long 'i' and it's Caahdye - which sounds like the family saloon has just gone up the spout. I'm sure none of these are correct. And anyway, in 15 years time her name will be "Oi!! You're not going out almost wearing THAT!!!"

Reply to
Steve

It's pronounced "Caddy", as in Volkswagen. It's a Welsh name, meaning, "cries alot, and smells".

I can't imagine her ever going near a golf course so shouldn't be a problem!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

|| Many congratulations on the new addition. Alice - great name, but || Cadi? I'm trying to work out how to pronounce it. Short 'a' and || it's Caddy - as in someone wot carries the bats during a round of || golf. Long 'a' and it's Caahdi - which sounds like the || fawn-coloured knitwear my granny used to wear.

Round here, "cardy" also refers to the residents of Cardigan, renowned for their meanness. Oh, he's real Cardy like."

|| And anyway, in 15 years time her name will be "Oi!! You're not || going out almost wearing THAT!!!"

Yup.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

| Very droll...... | | She's actually making us money. £20 notes in cards etc etc, I had to | borrow £30 quid off her today so I could go and get a couple of tonnes | of grit to lay the workshop floor. I'll pay her back though! | | We've thought of a name by the way.........Cadi , nice innit?! Middle | name Alice. | | It is pure coincidence that her initials are CAR! | | Dave

Does it have a Welsh meaning, like Cariad? Not come across it before, but it's nice.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The best solution is a PocketPC running Memory-Map's OS Maps. Superb app.

Comes with a PC client from where you can plan your routes for upload to the PocketPC and after your jaunt you can do the reverse and save your track back to the PC.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

I would agree. Memory-map (or anquet-maps) are both superb software. I use memory-map all the time. If you also have TomTom on the PDA you can get directions from home to the start of the route and then use memory-map to get you to the other end!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

It's related in some way to "Catrin" and also "Cariad". It's supposed to mean "Pure", but after changing some nappies today i can tell you that it's not!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

|| It's related in some way to "Catrin" and also "Cariad". It's supposed || to mean "Pure", but after changing some nappies today i can tell you || that it's not! || || Dave

Yeah, found that last night - Di did a bit of research on the bookshelf and found a list of Welsh names in a Welsh dictionary (why didn't I think of that?). Cadi/Catrin/Catherine. I like it more the more I hear it.

You've decided against Mochyn Du, then?

Reply to
Richard Brookman