What's the crack with this Green Laning lark??

OK so I am a self confessed Land Rover nut and love driving off-road. After a few goes round pay-and-play sites I got sick of paying & decided to try a bit of laning. Bought a copy of memory-map and got a stack of overlays showing the locations of 'Green Lanes' around west/North Yorkshire. Set off this morning for a jaunt and decided to head up to Ilkley as there looked to be loads of routes across the moors to Blubberhouses, guess what? Every bloody one had a freshly erected TRO sign at it's entrance :-( so thanks Mr Blair, the Ramblers, NERC and the rest of the tree hugging do-gooders.......................

Moved on to Otley and found an entrance to a lane which looked as though no-one had driven it for years so decided not to try it, particularly as the GPS co-ordinates on my TomTom didn't match any of those on my PDA memory-map!

Why is it so damn difficult? Finding any lanes that I can legally drive looks like it's going to be hard-work!!!

Andy

[1989 V8 90 CSW]
Reply to
Andy

Join GLASS or a local Land Rover club.

Reply to
Mother

Thanks for the tips guys, I have an application form to join GLASS but the lanes I have marked on memory-map are from GLASS! Seems as though it will take plenty of planning and a trip to the council offices to check the definitive map before any trip, which kind of defeats the object for me.

There are quite a few clubs around but most seem to run trips at weekends, whereas I have more free time mid-week so despite the obvious risks this usually means going it alone with plenty of self-recovery gear (winch, ground anchor, ropes, waffles etc.) I am not afraid to turn back if the going gets too tough and often have :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy

No real need to check the DM before every trip, just keep an eye on it from time to time, lanes don't change status that often. Records offices are usually open at the weekends for half the day, depends on the council, so get yerself down there and mark your maps up and you'll be better prepared than most.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:04:28 +0100, "Andy" scribbled the following nonsense:

If they are from the Wayfinder project there is a disclaimer stating that you should check the routes are legit. Some people use the Wayfinder Project for driving, others use it as a research tool for discovering ancient rights of way.

If you join GLASS, you may find many people actually go laning during the week when it is quieter (eg the retired etc). I never greenlane alone, even on routes I know like the back of my hand. For example, you get a puncture, start changing the tyre, car falls off the jack because the ground is soft and soggy, lands on you. Who is going to go get help????

Having said that, I am the Finance Director for GLASS, so my views may be slightly biased ;-)

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I only ever seem to go laning by myself, but the lanes down here in Hampshire (we do have a few left post NERC) are generally fairly tame.

I tend to drive most lanes during the week (on the way back from business meetings!) and it is very rare to bump into anyone at all whilst I am doing this. I deliberately do not organise trips as keeping to the '4 vehicle' rule is difficult but I do encourage everyone to go out and explore the lanes themselves or in small groups. I find a good old fashioned OS map works a treat.

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

I dont think there are that many round here anyway Andy, but I'm up for trying to find some with you. Need to get a few bits of kit first, but I'll give it a go!

The P38 is surprisingly good off road!

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige