Help! I think this diseas is terminal ;-)

Got the bad news from the garage re: my RR Classic's MOT (failed DRAMATICALLY!!!) on Monday so picked up another one via eBay on Wednesday, with the intention of scavengeing what I can off the old one ... Now that I've had time to think about it, I'm feeling very sentimental about my old car and am actually considering paying the 'arm and leg' required to get it through its MOT!!

Is there no hope for me? Is this the way it starts for all RR/LR owners? Is the disease terminal? Would I be better off just digging a hole in the garden, putting all my savings in it, dowsing it with petrol and setting fire to it???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Colin

Reply to
CJ

CJ wrote: Would I be better off just digging a hole in the

No, you need to put your title deeds in with the cash too.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

We can act as agony uncles better than Oprah and generally thinner ( plus we are dead nosy) please share the gory details of your pain. Derek Home , home on the Rangie

this weekend I shall be chiefly lowering the front suspension ( and trying to buy some front indicators on fleabay )

Reply to
Derek

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Having waved goodbye to one of my fondest money pits today I thought I was in for some R & R ... went out in the 110 and the friggin fan belt snapped. Still Halfrauds were on form at least today.

Oh joy!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In news:%6Cci.12676$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk, CJ wittered on forthwith;

I'm afraid there isn't much anyone can do.

I bought by first RRC in 1995 (D117UKB) sold it in early '96 because I was sick and tired of it breaking down all the time due to silly little faults. I thought that having owned one that would be the end of the hankering for a Rangie.

I'm now on my 6th Classic but it's easier to own than the previous ones as I've done pretty much every awkward bloody job there is to do on one now.

Tomorrow I have to change exhaust gaskets, again.

Reply to
Pete M

Just replaced the fan belt on Kato tonite its only been on 3 weeks and squealed on startup each morning after the first week ( yes it is nice and tight and the steering pump is not stiff or owt ) put a Unipart one on this time lets see if thats any better. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Kin'el - I wonder if Snowy and Kato are attached via some sort of worm 'ole. Let me know what your replacing next and I'll get it in in advance ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:06:04 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

Oi, you speak for yourself.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:32:19 +0100, "Pete M" enlightened us thusly:

what, manifold ones?

might be different on the turbo, but the original engine never had 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Wot? No photographic evidence of the failure?!? ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles wittered on forthwith;

This didn't have them but was blowing from the turbo manifold to head. Fitting gaskets cured that.

The one that is causing me grief at the moment is on the turbo link pipe (pipe from NS bank to turbo - turbo is on OS) the gasket had finally given up, I went on a mission to change it and I've only bloody stripped the thread on the stud. Sundays mission is to try and change the stud without taking the OS manifold off. Removing the OS manifold is a complete nightmare because of the Turbo, brake servo, and a few other large bits that get in the way.

Reply to
Pete M

Yep,

This disease is definitely terminal: I lost reverse today ... and the upper tailgate lock has gone ... had to drill it out just to get the bloomin' thing open.

Any suggestions as to why reverse might have left my car's vocabulary? It's an auto box and there's no problem with any other gear.

Regards,

Colin

Reply to
CJ

Really, that is odd as it was new, I know this because the belt snapped when i picked it up last year.

Reply to
Nige

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yeah I noted that on the AA breakdown report too. I'm wondering why it has a tendancy to eat fan belts now. I've replaced the Power steering belt already when I changed the power steering pump. It's defo got wet at KORC as the engine lid was well splattered so maybe it picked up some crud. I'll get a spare in anycase before we pootle off on Holiday - Mind it's done getting on for 3000 miles now :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Steve uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Not yet anyway.. main reason I'd popped out was to get some piccys :-) of the "weather" , ended up looking at the weather from on my back via the engine bay.

At least everything undid as it should.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Is yours a serpentine belt or not? If so IIRC one of the pulleys changed diameter at some point in the production run, only by a few millimeters, but it means there's two different sizes of serpentine belt. I know the RAC chaps didn't know this, in fact they turned up at my breakdown with a V-belt instead of a serpentine ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

'tis odd never had a belt fail in 30 years of motoring. My dad used to carry a spare fan belt as routine along with points and plugs...

I'd look *very* closely at all the pulleys for a nick or any other damage to the running faces and close by in case a slight pully mis-alignment causes the belt to ride across an edge.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've had one fail. Loose alternator bracket gave the alternator a bit of wobble, which over a couple of thousand miles obviously let the belt wiggle enough to wear the edges down gradully. I made it through about 100 miles of france, the ferry then up from dover to the M25 before the last strand of belt went. I stoped for fuel and looked at it too hard and it went as i pulled off!. Then got to a halfords just before closing and bought an fitted a new belt and bought some allen keys to tighten the alternator mount up :)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

D117UKB I owned it for about 10 years, bought it with the 3.5v8 with gas conversion about 2004, then made it manual with a 3.1 isuzu trooper diesel, had it a couple of years then swapped to a 200tdi to try reduce gearbox failures, then due to lack of power for towing I then put a later body shell on it, blasted and painted the chassis and swapped back to autobox with a 3.5mazda turbo diesel which was great but heavy. Finally sold it and it went upto Scotland on a shoot.

Reply to
ChrisBriggs