High mileage

I happened across a 200tdi today whose owner claimed a genuine 280,000 hard miles. No major engine work done to it. Missing fifth gear and failed MOT due to broken chassis so now only used on his 2000 acres of private land. 'Not bad' is my though. So, are there any harder worked ones out there?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Lots. My 200tdi Disco had 250,000 miles on it - and I'm not a heavy user :-)

(Had a FSH, and all the usual minor repairs, like gearbox...)

Reply to
Mother

I did ask 'heavier' not lighter use ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Try carting 20 bags of concrete mix between Sydney and Bourke ... in a 1994

110 - with 238,000 kms and stock standard wheels etc. Thats 20 x 40kgs! cheers

Reply to
hiker

Just about run in! 300,000 is not uncommon. The only dead 200Tdi's I've come accorss have been killed by negelct, usually either lack of oil and/or water. 300Tdi's in particular do not like being run with no water even for very short times - mind you, any engine should never be run without water (particilary modern ones), the temperature stresses build up immediately and will damage it in no time at all - the effects often remaining "hidden" for possibly quite a while.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Not meaning to be picky, but that's only 800kg, far less than the payload of the vehicle so nothing special in that. I once loaded the back of my 110 with concrete building blocks, 100 x 4" blocks @ 20kg each, 2000kg total. The back end was on the bump stops, the handling was like an ocean-going oil tanker made of rubber and the brakes were, well, not! Thankfully I was only going 5 miles. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Just a very tiny caravan then with no payload and nought else in the car .......... Richard

Reply to
Richard

don't be saying that, ye making me sweat here.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Pah, call that hard work? I once towed an entire north sea drilling platform from Falmouth to the Shetlands by coast path in a Series I!

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

""Pet @

;¬)"" wrote in message news:U41ff.10028$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

I once got a phone call from my brother-in-law to ask for help, they were trying to move a "static" caravan, one of the big mobile homes that's 10 foot wide, 30-odd foot long and has a harled exterior, god knows what it weighed. Anyway, it was stuck on a slope, axles bogged down, and an old fergie tractor hooked up to the van's removable drawbar. Fergie's wheels would just spin, even with the diff locked. We attached a big tree strop around the front axle of the fergie, hooked it onto the back of the landy and pulled the whole bloomin' lot! Brother-in-law was walking at a fast pace next to my drivers window laughing his head off, when asked why he replied " look at the fergie's wheels". I did, and saw that not only was I dragging the caravan, but the fergie as well!! It's wheels were turning but it was moving faster than it's wheels..... That was with a high-torque 3.5 engine and an LT77 box, in 1st low, 1500rpm at nearly full throttle. I was just waiting for the bang as a half-shaft let go, but somehow it all held together. I was once asked to pull a Mk2 Escort out of a rally stage - with the NSF wheel ripped back under the navigator's footwell, when I told him the price of a clutch, he said I suppose you'd best just leave it (the car) somewhere we can get access with the trailer then. Boy, was I glad, I didn't fancy towing a dead unsteerable weight for 5 miles to the end of the stage, I doubt if I would have anyway, it would have ripped the track up too much. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

1600 Petrol?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Right...

I once had to pull the Isle of Wight out of the way 'cos the Queen didn't like the view of Cowes from her cabin on Britania. Didn't have the luxury of a Landie mind, had to throw a rope 'round the bugger and pull it wi mi teeth...

You try tellin' that to the kids today...

Reply to
Mother

On or around Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:29:16 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

Mind, 2000Kg is *way* over the payload for a 110... seriously, though, payload for a 110 is not much more than 800Kg - the "one ton" series was a special version, remember...

hehehe

picky, I know, but I never saw a Fergie with a difflock.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

LOL!

Eeeeeee, when I were a lad............. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hmmmm.... according to the handbook for my 110 (originally a 2.28 petrol) the gross vehicle weight is 3050kg, the unladen weight is 1750kg, leaving a payload of 1300kg. I know I was overweight (I personally still am...) but it was either that or do a second round trip and I couldn't be arsed!

I think it was a 35 or a 135 with no cab Austin, although I think some of the last of the "grey fergies" did indeed have a difflock pedal on the right hand side, behind your right heel? Unless my memory is fuzzy and it wasn't a fergie, but it was grey so I assumed it was. S'pose it could have been a Dexta? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

The TE20 had independent brakes on both sides with pedals hinging forward from the back axle. Not that I have ever taken much notice of these things.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

That must have been the day I towed England, Scotland and Wales out of the path of some madman towing the Isle of Wight recklessly...............

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In message , Badger writes

The grey fergies had individual brakes for the rear wheels when I last drove one (1962ish)- pedal in the position you describe on each side. I think the idea was to enable a near 90 degree turn, but they could also be use on a spinning wheel when stuck.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:19:18 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

there were of course grey 35s. dunno if they had difflocks. I've an idea the 65 did.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Now you're just being silly!

:¬)