I need help!

I am getting really p'd off with my V8 D1 now, the problem of it cutting out when driving has returned. When it happens the fuel pump stops running and hence the car stops. However, it can't be the pump itself as running a direct 12v feed to it spins it up and the car runs.

I have checked the pump relay and it activates as it should to prime the pump when ignition turned on then switches off until the car starts when it clicks over again so as far as I can see the ECU is doing what is should too.

All I can think is that I have a wiring fault somewhere between the fp relay and the pump itself. Does this sound right and if so anyone know where the wiring loom is routed please??

TIA

Andy

'96 ex Jap D1 V8i

Reply to
Andy

Relay sockets are unreliable IME! Try some contact cleaner and judicious wiggling.

Reply to
GbH

I'm off to Old Mill tomorrow, i'll have a chat with Kev.

Reply to
Nige

Cheers Nige, I'll probably book it in with them to look at once this weather has passed so any light they can shed on it would be great.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Had a word, his exact words where 'bypass the existing circuit with a new one relay fed'

Could be a few things, but that's the best option matey. Thats what he would do & has done a few times.

Reply to
Nige

I wonder if it's ok to run the new circuit from an ignition feed via a relay or should I use the ECU output to drive it as with the existing one? Think the only real difference is that the ECU feed primes the system with ignition, then stops until engine is running. Guess it also cuts it if engine stalls etc.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Need a fail safe on HP fuel pump, thats what the ECU supposedly does. If you prang with ignition on, your system leaves HP fuel feed!

Reply to
GbH

Yes, that's what I feared. So if I tap into the same +12v feed out from the ECU that trips the OE fuel pump relay I should be OK? The inertia switch kills the earth to it so I'm not changing anything there

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I would think so, unless its the ECU itself that's causing your? intermittancy. You have more faith in the inertia switch than I didn't even know it had one, mind you mine's a TDi, so FK what it has! If this bypass doesn't fix it maybe investigate that output from the ECU!

Reply to
GbH

On or around Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:57:33 -0000, "Andy" enlightened us thusly:

Have you tried running it for any length of time on the direct feed?

Could be. There's an earth wire from the tank unit to the chassis, check that too. ISTR you replaced the relay itself, you might try relpacing it again - I've had several occasions in the past where I've replaced a component with a new one, then spent about a month trying to trace another fault only to find that the new comonent had failed prematurely.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

To feed a new relay yes. I doubt the ECU has enough switching capabilty to drive the pump direct, direct ECU to pump could well blow up the ECU...

I don't think you were thinking of goibg direct but just in case... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sun, 10 Jan 2010 09:07:19 -0000, "Andy" enlightened us thusly:

yes, you do still need that, and yes it should work. As a first stage, I'd run a temporary new wire from the relay output to the tank, and see if that cures it. No point in a lot of effort if the fault turns out to be somewhere else.

Does the gauge behave correctly?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Are you sure the ECU puts out enough power to run a pump directly without a relay? I wouldn't think so, you may destroy it.

The inertia switch

Reply to
Oily

Wasn't going to pump direct from ECU, would be via a relay but I think Austin you are right, I'll run a new feed from the existing relay output first.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Kev thinks there may be a bit of loom thats not happy.

Reply to
Nige

Could link in to the burning rubber smell that I still get! Need a good poke around underneath when the weather improves.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

The bloke i bought the alloys off today was on about the same smell & his was a BMW 4.4 V8 L322

I'm 99% fit now, we'll have a look next weekend if you want?

Reply to
Nige