It's good to be back.

Hi all,

Well dear, its like this... I went out shopping and bought this:

OK Russ, the jovial propriotor said, but it just needs a bit ofTLC.

Am I right in thinking its a series 2 Disco? It has the associated peeling dashboard. Now, at last I can get over to France and recover the dead V8 Disco Mk1.

The strange thing is, the last owner was a guy I used to work for over

10 years ago, and the guy that sold it to me is my current boss.
Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

I don't think it's a series 2 - just a 300TDI Disco. Same as the one I had. Land-Rover replaced the dash in mine for free when I gave them a /VERY/ hard time.

Nick the dash out of the dead one?

What goes around...

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Good shopping trip,

I think you will find this is a series 1 disco but the facelift model so called the "300", yes it also is associated with the peeling dash.

I had the same on my old disco before the P38, it had peeling dash and after a lot of calls Marshall's of Cambridge agreed to repair it under warranty as it was never recalled, this was after I bought it from a local dealer and I was it's 3rd owner.

Mark

Reply to
murph

Nope. It's an original type Disco, a series I if you wish, and it is this type that is associated with the curling dash trim. It is a post facelift model but is unlikely to have the later gearbox which has reverse opposite fifth unless it has had a failure and replacement at some point. SII did not appear until about late '97 IIRC.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thats the phrase. Sort of 'series 1 and a bit' The interior is quite different to my 1990. No Sherpa Van switches etc.

IIRC reverse is opposite fifth.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

CBA

But its the wrong colour, and the old one is LHD, and, wait for it, I CBA.

Needs better ground clearance?

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

A couple of phone calls and a shitty letter might do the trick (cc'd to watchdog)...

Fair enough...

My idol has feet of clay...

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

On or around Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:25:59 +0000, Colonel Tupperware enlightened us thusly:

it ought to have been a series 1A. It's an early (ish) facelift disco 1,

300 TDi and R380 'box. The early R380 can still get the output shaft wear problem, sadly.

same year and type as ours, thouhg ours ain't an ES. Nice motor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:45:23 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

R380 box came in with the 300 TDi, AFAIK, in late 94/early 95. Ours is an M95 and has an R380.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A large number of late '95 'N' cars fitted with the LT75 had them replaced due to early failure caused by insufficient hygiene at the factory which left much machining swarf in the new boxes. In many cases these were replaced with the new R380, some of which suffered from the same problem. Unbelievable? Certainly inexcusable.

Huw.

Reply to
Huw

Not a prayer. Land Rover have no contract with the Colonel as he hasn't bought anything from them. It's also a ten year old car (or thereabouts) so the chances of getting any kind of warranty / goodwill work is very close to zero.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I thought every 300 had the R380? I've never seen one with the earlier gearbox.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

You cannot take it for granted that even the engine is original at that age. At any rate there was a short time during transition that components were mixed and matched as is often the case with large scale production *within* a models lifespan.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"Huw" wrote >

I should explain that it is probably likely that a 300tdi will have always had a 300tdi unless the whole drivetrain was swapped [which is not uncommon] because the 200tdi drivetrain is mounted much further back in the chassis compared to the 300.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Reply to
Mark

Were you the guy with the family looking for a 'mid-teens' Discovery as I was doing the paperwork for mine?

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Not sure, I wasn't there until 3:30 - 4:30 this afternoon, did have the family with me in a "Suzuki Grand Vitara"I'm whispering now! I had a 200 Tdi Disco previously, it really is good to be back! enjoy your vehicle, it looks like a good one.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

k1.

So Mark, our service manager said. The transmission seems very taught, no slaps or bangs.

Ta. I like the term 'staff discount' :-) and the 'Take the trailer to pick up the dead one from France if you want.'

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

You're probably right - mine was only 5 years old at the time, but I was the second owner.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

On or around Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:55:55 +0000, "Simon Atkinson" enlightened us thusly:

also, they were at the time still doing warranty/recall work on the vehicles for the original owners, I imagine. While technically, having once agreed to recall and repair all of 'em (I assume) they should in fact do so regardless, I doubt there's much chance on a 10yo vehicle. I've never got around to asking about our "300" which has the same problem.

Reply to
Austin Shackles