Lambda sensor

....Can I assume that if I immerse a lambda probe in water, I'll've knackered it ???

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Probably not. How immersed and for how long?

Reply to
EMB

A couple of mins, no more than 6" of (muddy) water ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

If it aint working now then hasnt that given it away? :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Did the motor stall? How low down is it fitted? I'd expect the exhaust pressure would give breathing space... maybe it was cooked by steam post incident? Lets face it... it lives in an exhaust...life doesn't get much shittier than that!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The bit that sticks out of the exhaust into free air has to be able to "breathe" oxygen molecules, the voltage is produced by the difference in oxygen ions on either side. I expect thermal shock would damage it if the mud didn't contaminate it. Should be easy enough to check with a propane torch and dmm.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

So long as it isn't full of mud it'll probably dry out and start working again after a while.

Reply to
EMB

Ta, I didn't know that! Learnt summat new today! :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I haven't driven him for a week, I'll check whether its dried out on Wednesday.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor