LPG question:Setting the vapouriser

Hi Folks, After a fairly straightforward thrutch I have replace the dead Emme gas vapouriser in my 101's LPG setup with a shiny new Stefannelli unit. Has anyone any clues how to tune the thing ? There are no notes on what the two knobs on the case do.

The engine is a normally aspirated 3.5V8.

I got it running by opening the solenoid valves and listening for (barely) escaping gas as I adjusted the knob-on-the-top (with a spring under it). Once that was open, the engine started and ran, albeit rough, and the pickup was sluggish.

With old Emme gas system, the inlet manifolds had been shut down to 35mm to increase the vacuum in the manifolds. I wonder if they are still needed ?

The old system is well illustrated on Mike Derrick's site

are lots of throttles and chokes that could be adjusted - I just don't know what to do to start with ! Steve

Reply to
Steve

I take it this is the diaphragm tension adjuster? I was told to set my system pressure by activating the solenoid (which normally needs a series of pulses from the coil primary) and establishing a hemispherical soap bubble on the hose end.

I've wondered with mine about this pressure compensation. In effect the depression in the manifold, prior to the throttle, is down to the resistance in the air cleaner and ducts, this must vary with air volume flow, yet the vapouriser is normally vented to atmosphere. In pressurised systems the vapouriser is plumbed back to the inlet manifold, so the gas is always a fixed delta P above inlet pressure.

Again a good reason for a closed loop system to automatically compensate.

I'm not much to advise. Whilst I can get the initial set up I cannot get decent full throttle mixture without over rich idle. Mines a Landi Renzo, I wonder if it is wrongly sized.the system should be independent of all carburetor controls, except possibly the throttle stop, for idle speed adjustment.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Steve