"Mooing" Disco

What would be failing to make a Disco II TD5 produce a low frequency "moo"?

Happens when I lift off the go pedal just a little and also when just giving a little bit more. Lasts maybe a couple of seconds at most from on-set through peak to gone and a slight vibration can be felt in the floor pan.

It's not directly speed related, it'll happen at almost any speed but generally above 30. Has the characteristics of a resonance ie. it starts and stops with a fade but I can't sustain it by manipulating the throttle.

I am sitting down, I expect it's something expensive again. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You need a new bovine restrictor valve, yours is leaking...

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'd have a look at the CV joints and UJ's ... ours started to do a similar thing, and one of the UJ's 'went' after a week or so. Ours started with the cd's 'skipping' every so often, then a strange sound at certain speeds, then knocking when it finally let go. Might be worth using a grease gun on the grease nipples of the UJ's first.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Mine did it around 70-80mph, it was dry UJ's at fault. Does it make the noise on full lock? If so, it's CV joints.

Reply to
Nige

I don't go that fast...

I was aware of some noise the other day when not straight ahead but not the knocking of a knackered CV joint(*) more of a low drone. I've not heard or been aware of it since then.

(*) First car as an Austin 1100, that developed the CV knock.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Might be nothing similar, but my Disco 300TDi has done something like this from new. Best way to get it is to floor the throttle in 5th gear from 1500 revs. I think it is a vibration in the exhaust, but I've never confirmed it.

Hope yours is nothing worse

Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

If I grovel underneath will there be enough slack in the UJ(s) to be detectable by hand?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

VERY cautiously roll the car back and forward, you´ll see the drive flange on the diff move, and the flange on transfer box doesn´t you have a problem. On my 101 I had a completely collapsed HS joint which let the prop move about the width of a prob bolt before the drive moved.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor