News on the RaRo front

Of course you don't. Whenever did 'need' come into it?

Want one, yes...

Absolutely...

So, shall I bung a 101 Club Application Form in the post? :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Does anyone 'need' a 101? :)

Would keep you entertained and out of trouble for hours though. :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Now, stop that...

Reply to
David French

Glad to hear that it was fixable. I have wondered the last few days. For some reason,NTL managed to turn off the broadband, disconnect the phone and restrict the TV for an account that is paid by direct debit and had been paid, and is paid up to date. If it weren't for the fact that I swore that I'd never pay BT another penny from the day they wanted £355 to connect the phone, with a three week waiting list when Jessica was born and in Queens Medical Centre. NTL or Diamond Cable as they were then, had people round installing the phone line at 7am the next morning and it cost us £50.

Reply to
Nikki

On or around Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:00:03 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

I've already got the 110 for that, and if that got boring, I could get the Fast Ford back on the road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

When I looked last night there were 3 of the buggers on there....

I really do need a GS...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Did I type that...?

Erm... no, but I could have done :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Yes... So does David - handbags at dawn...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

By the sound of it (radio body...) you're not doing very well! :-)

I find it really really hard to ignore these 'bargains' that i keep seeing! I have to keep thinking hard of the bank balance, and how nice it would be to have some spare money!

Reply to
Tom Woods

One day you could just take a run up at the fence with the 101 :). I know i keep getting tempted....

Reply to
Tom Woods

Sadly Barry (the FiL) is an old school builder. It takes a lot to get him to put his newspaper down, but when he builds something it stays built. I have actually hit the fence post with the 101. It stopped dead in its tracks (irresistable force lost out to immovable object). It's a big length of hardwood with as much in the concrete underground as is sticking out at the top.

On request he came and put a shelf above our fireplace this week. It's four inches thick and rests on 4 inch batons that are set into the brickwork. We only want to put a couple of ornaments on it!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Bruce says make some alterations. Trust your instincts especially if you feel you are being talked out of something for conveience sake. He saysone of the best things we ever did was to clear the front, dig out topsoil ready for a hardcore base and have a load of gravel delivered. We can now get the Discovery, Range Rover, Series 3, a decaying Mercedes 307 van on the front. Both entrances are at least 8ft wide and the only access round the back/side of the house is through the front door and between the flat where Bruce's dad lives and our house is an 8ft wide 10ft high roller shutter door.

I've got one of those living next door to me too. But as Alan, Bruce's Dad said to me once "At least I can walk past the places I've built, and don't have to run"

Bruce said that when he was a kid, there were nine all living at home for a short time before he ran off to work on the fair, and his Dad made bunkbeds out of some 4x4 he'd got left over from a job. He built them in the bedroom and Bruce said he bolted them to the wall and got a clip round the ear when he suggested tie irons.

Reply to
Nikki

I 'ordered' 12 foot gates. We had a comical chain of events with Barry declaring that I wanted them 'this wide', me pointing out that the gap was a foot narrower than the 101 and moving the cones 4 foot further apart and then Barry pulling them back in when I wasn't looking. As a non-paying customer I had to bite my lip more than a few times. However, it all works after a fashion and I pity the next owner who decides he wants to dig it up.

Ask Bruce what he would quote to remove 10 foot of privet hedge, clear

25 x 15 foot of rubble and paving, build a 4 foot wall along the 15 feet, skin it to give a dry stone wall effect, fill the hole with concrete and then supply and fit 2 six foot wooden gates and serious gate posts. I'd be interested to know!

I paid £650 for materials, which Barry immediately gave us back to buy a travel system for Charlotte. For that kind of bargain I can live with the odd niggle.

LOL. I can visualise my Dad scowling at me. There is a family tale oft told, where Sue (Dad's wife) goes out shopping and asks Dad what he's going to do with the day. "Just plaster that little dent in the bedroom wall". She came home to find the bedroom wall plasterboard in the trailer on the drive and Dad repositioning the stud wall, because it was a fraction of an inch out at top or bottom and therefore could never be 'true'.

I'm more related to my Grandfather, who's toolkit consisted of a small hammer, a medium sized hammer, a big hammer and a sledgehammer. He always said that if you couldn't fix it by hitting it, you at least felt better for giving it a piece of your mind.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs