jagaur main dealer

hi 2 all,

just had the header tank replaced on my S type 3 litre, and got charged £295. Is that fair price?

MTIA

Reply to
reven

Yes but you probably did not expect it or you would not have asked the question. What did you expect? I presume it includes the VAT but does it include a labour charge to change it?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"jaguar main dealer".

Or in other words, "licence to extort money".

What did you expect?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

More fool him, then.

Regardless of how much money I've earned over the years, I've always shopped around for parts rather than buy straight from a main dealer's parts desk.

Reply to
SteveH

of course you asked how much it was going to cost you before you authorised any work to be done ? but going by your question I guess not.

Reply to
reg

Many main dealer parts are competitively priced. For a meaningful comparison for this part which is for a car in the 'premium' sector of the market, then one has to compare the part price with the equivalent from another comparable marque. Now you could go further and compare the main dealer price with a consumer parts retailer, but you could go further and compare different parts retailer prices then compare with motor factors and between motor factors. Life is too bloody short mate.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Too short to spend half an hour to save £250+ ?

Life is never too short for that.

I've been running cars from the 'premium' sector for years (all be it older ones....), so I know exactly how much you're likely to be ripped off if you don't do a bit of research from time to time.

Reply to
SteveH

So the header tank is more than £250 cheaper at an outlet you know of. Please let the OP know of how and where he could purchase his part at £45 or less.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Including the labour of course.