okay perhaps a simple one

Having just bought a used 1997 Discovery, I am acquainting myself with it's.........ah.....nuances, that's sounds right.

Anyhow, I can't seem to locate the jack? I found what I recognize as the handle and the release for the bottle jack, but wonder if the jack is hiding somewhere.............perhaps in the previous owners garage?

That probably being the case, perhaps the hi-lift jack is the way to go, especially given I don't want to crawl around on the ground with a flat tire.

Can you help?

And thanks

Reply to
davejb851

On or around Sat, 5 Aug 2006 09:52:56 -0400, "davejb851" enlightened us thusly:

normal place is on the opposite side of the underbonnet to the battery. There should also be a funny bent bit of metal, which is a wheel chock.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| On or around Sat, 5 Aug 2006 09:52:56 -0400, "davejb851" || enlightened us thusly: || ||| Having just bought a used 1997 Discovery, I am acquainting myself ||| with it's.........ah.....nuances, that's sounds right. ||| ||| Anyhow, I can't seem to locate the jack? I found what I recognize ||| as the handle and the release for the bottle jack, but wonder if ||| the jack is hiding somewhere.............perhaps in the previous ||| owners garage? ||| ||| That probably being the case, perhaps the hi-lift jack is the way ||| to go, especially given I don't want to crawl around on the ground ||| with a flat tire. ||| ||| Can you help? || || normal place is on the opposite side of the underbonnet to the || battery. There should also be a funny bent bit of metal, which is a || wheel chock.

Often missing if owner has fitted a second battery or modified the air cleaner (eg fitting a snorkel). There would be a short velcro strip there as well, to hold the kack steady. A standard bottle jack will fit in the space (probably) and is all you need - pop it under the end of the axle and pump it up. Unless the PO has fitted jackable sills and all sorts of stuff, you will find it hard to find anywhere to fit a hi-lift without damaging bodywork.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| There would be a short velcro || strip there as well, to hold the kack steady.

Oops. Jack, that should be. Interesting idea, though.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

If you want an easy wheel-change setup, then I'd advise you to steer clear of a high-lift jack. They are inherently unstable and you have to do much more lifting than with a bottle-jack as the high-lift lifts the body of the car until the wheels start to follow. A bottle jack starts to lift the wheel from the outset as it works directly on the axle. I've changed plenty of wheels on my Defender with a high-lift and I'd go for a bottle-jack any time, especially at night in the rain.

What you need is a bottle-jack with a curved bar on top that fits around the axle, a normal bottle-jack with a flat top is not really suitable.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Thanks for the help. If I can't find it, I'll get another bottle jack, hopefully I can find one that will fit the axles.

Thanks aga>

Reply to
davejb851

My goodness you Brits are clever. There, right before my eyes (older, and less capable mind you) I found the little curve thing (wheel chock) and placed under it, covered in road grim was the jack. Now if I can find the lug nut wrench I will be set..................think I'll be so lucky again? Nope!

Thanks again.

Reply to
davejb851

On or around Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:25:59 -0400, "davejb851" enlightened us thusly:

wheel nut wrench and jack handle are normally in a bag under the back seat, sometimes held down with velcro. reminds me, must check that they're in the latest acquisition, a VERY tidy "200" 3.5 V8, with a nice BRG gas conversion fitted by the lot in Warwick. This one is about the tidiest "200" I've seen in a long while.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:32:31 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

so the 300TDi is definitely going then????

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Tue, 08 Aug 2006 23:10:59 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

yep, reckon so. I'll mend it first, natch. head off, investigate, machine head if needed and new head gasket. Knowing my luck, the sod will then run untouched for another 100,000 miles.

It'll be up for grabs soonish. Having said that, if anyone wants it as-is, a deal could be reached - apart from the suspect head gasket it's got a few minor faults like the screen wiper parking is flaky (wipers work but not intermittent, or not properly), bit of a dent in the driver's door, erm... not much else I don't think. side steps are a bit ropy, but they could be taken off.

Generally it's in pretty good nick - 120K miles on it, 300 TDi M plate. good history, good tyres (goodyears, maybe 1/3 worn), stereo (not CD though), pretty much everythiong works except as listed above. Body and chassis are sound, all leccy windows work, etc.

Anyone interested, email me (get rid of the spamtrap from the address) and we'll talk money. It'll be quite cheap as it is, since it'll save me hassle, time and money in doing the head gasket and fixing it up for sale. 's a good motor, in truth. But I think mother's starting to think it's jinxed... and the other one is *very* nice, and it's a V8, which I prefer.

Reply to
Austin Shackles