OT PC > linux

ive just been given a 2 gig PC with windows 95 on it. pretty useless so maybe its a candidate for a linux conversion.

can anybody give me a quick run through what has to be done. i once saw linux in a computer shop, but thats it. i have no idea except there may a penguin involved!

tks I A

ted

'
Reply to
teddave

Processor speed and how much memory? If 350mhz+, with 128mb ram, then any of the current Linux ditributions will be OK. I can recommend Mandrake 9.1, running KDE desktop.The discs are available for purchase from many online shops (cheeplinux.com do it for £10), or you could download it and burn your own discs (3 x 650mb). It is a simple install, and gives you the option of keeping your windows partition (though it wouldnt really be practical with a 2gb HD). From start to finish, my install took less than 30 minutes.The 3 CDs contain almost every application that you will ever require. Post or email for more info. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

tbh, most distros should work on a 95 era PC, given enough ram. As stated, 128mb is a minimum. You'll struggle a bit with the modern bloated Desktops, such as Gnome or KDE on a low spec PC though. Something like fvwm2 should fly though. Be aware, it's nothing like windows though. tldp.org is a good source of info. I started with "unix for dummies" !!! The linux version is probably worth a read.

Reply to
tiM

tks all but it turns out i was being incredibly innocent about this. i was presuming a neat little RAM but forgot how crap machines were not so many years ago. the box has 23meg RAM! 23meg, can it be possible (and what was the RAM on the '69 moon shot?)

so, any suggestions as what to do with a 2gig / 23 meg RAM machine. apart from the obvious, ideas gladly welcomed. oh and i cant figure the processor. surely that info should lie somewhere in the system folder but its not jumping out at me

tia ted

Reply to
teddave

Try one of the distros-on-a-disk things, that run entirely off the CD drive. In fact, try lots of them and find one you like.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

and what about the other 11 meg??!

:0]

Reply to
teddave

Firewall for your net connection ?

Needs >= 386 and 12 meg of RAM.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

11/12 of ANOTHER firewall ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes, there is one involved .....

Assuming that your PC has a bootable CD-Rom drive, a good start would be to pick a distribution from the net as a CD image, and start playing with it.

If the rest of your PC is as vintage as it's HD, you'll be well advised to use one of the lighter distributions such as Slackware

See

A good, non destructive way to get a feel for linux without actually installing it is the excellent knoppix "Live" distribution, from Dpl. Ing Klaus Knopper, a bootable CD-Rom based distribution that runs straight out of the CD, no install necessary. Just download the image from any of the mirrors listed at

Burn it, and watch it boot.

You'll certainly need more info as you get along, email me to

roberto [ imagine the 'at' character ] spock [ imagine a dot ] cl

BTW, just to stay a little on topic, i could use some info on the p38a, as i am contemplating buying one. I've read everything on

and
,any further tips ?

Regards from Santiago, Chile Roberto de Iriarte

Reply to
Roberto de Iriarte

Oh dear... Why do I see a heated 'which distro is best' type thread developing... ? :-)

Reply to
Mother

Twas Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:46:34 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

Mandrake ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Are you a hairdresser? Fancy a Rav4?

door open...

Reply to
Mother

Twas Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:10:07 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

SUSE?

truth be known I'm running Windows 2000 here..

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Debian, easily...

Well might as well go for the full set..

ahem.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

Used them all from SuSE to MDK to Lindows and there is in fact only one Linux that is as easy to use as Windows (Well almost)and I'm uxing it now.

It's based on Debian and is unbeatable. Also unlike Lindows they don't charge for free software that should be on the disk anyway.

Reply to
Tony Boom

Twas Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:32:56 +0000 when Steve put finger to keyboard producing:

oh how I laughed......

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I think you'll find that info in the BIOS settings - press delete key at start up.

With regard to Linux, try and see a machine running it first. Linux/Unix isn't for the feint hearted. I know my friend has reverted to Windows as he found the Linux command line too daunting. There's no doubt that Linux is the better of the OS's, but Windows can be more user friendly (if that's a term that could ever be applied to it).

oh and i cant figure the processor.

Reply to
Martyn Cottrell

Gentoo,

Bless you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

# As with most things, it depends on what you want to do. The laptop I'm working on at this time has 64M of RAM, and is running SUSE 9 pro fine, you just have to be realistic about how many apps you use/have open. Although, I did have to install in text only, as there wasn't enough memory for the auto install :0) I've used most of the major distro's, and to be honest it depends on which front end you like best, assuming you don't want to play with windo manager replacement :0) I find that I prefer RedHat, due to the amount of things you can do via the menu system, without having to drop into a terminal window, but SUSE is a very close second. All of them have massive user base that will be willing to help, and most of them have their own support/whinge groups on usenet. Try them , play abit b4 maki a decision, and if you want some more memory, ebay or local comp shop should be able to help, 66Mhz ??

And, you've got at least five sysadmins on this ng, so help is avai;able :0)

`Mark

Reply to
Agrippa

Wox wrong with my spell checker? Apart from the fact I've only just started using this news client and have'nt installed the SC yet.

I'll do it now, just for you.

Reply to
Tony Boom