OT: Sheet bending

Good evening all, any one out there have any suggestions on how to put a 3" radius 90 deg bend in a 1.6mm sheet of 304 stainless steel which is 7 feet wide ???

Not enough strength to bend it over my knee !!!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Take it to somewhere with a sheet metal bending machine?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Any decent sized steel fabrication engineers will have a set of rollers for the job but not all will be able to handle 7 ft width.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

One that's at least 7 foot wide?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

JJ Haslam Ltd in Bolton have rollers that will do it. They've done work for me in the past and are a good bunch.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

If its up north, try Bell Sheet Metal in Royton. You need a press brake, not rollers surely ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Rollers for that radius

Reply to
EMB

When i bought chequer plate for the roof of my ambi i had it cut at a metalworking/engineer across the road from the metal supplier. They had a guillotene that would cut whole sheets of plate and said they had a bender of a similar size.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well it is a 90 deg corner but has a 3" radius so I would have thought that rollers would curve the whole lot !!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

No, for a right angle with a defined radius, they'd use a press brake with a corner radiusing bar.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

You could get an approximation to a circle with a finger folder, a calculator and lots of patience. How accurate do you want the curve ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Lay it on a high speed hump and drive over it a few times.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Well the Item I need to make is a square fuel tank, with the top, bottom, front and back 12" long and 81" wide, so there will need to be 4 of theses curves one for each bend to create a square. Spoken to a engineering company today and he said " that at 1.5mm thick sheet to bend that sort of radius you are looking at about 60 Tons" !!!!!!!!!!!!! they did not have a press break wide enough, but could do the tig welding, on with the search...

Rich

Reply to
Rich

You obviously work out and mark where you want the bends then when you've done the first you release the rollers and move on to the next taking the metal through backwards and forwards whilst gradually increasing the roller pressure, I don't see how you would get a six inch diameter bar under an average press brake, and how many different formers are you going to need every time you need another size?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I thought you might enjoy a squint at this page DIY sheet metal folder

its on my list of stuff to do when I get the garage floor visable.Derek

Reply to
Derek

Have you actually done this with rollers ? I'd be interested to see the result. I'm going to take a quick crack at it on my sheet metal rollers at work.

I don't see how you would get a six inch diameter bar under an

Exactly, you have a 90 degree section of 3" radius bar, and yes, you need a tool for each radius.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

It's how I've always done the 5" radius in the 4mm ally plate we used to make truck bodies with.

Reply to
EMB

Are you planning on forming the main body in one piece or two?

If one piece you would need a skillful sheetmetal company with an 8ft box and pan folder. If two pieces you need a sheetmetal company with an 8ft press brake with normal 90 degree tooling and get them to bump the radius's round( thats creasing the metal every 4mm or so) 60 Tons" !!!!!!!!!!!!! my arse, more like20

Splitpin

B & Z Metalcraft

I have had

recommended to me for this size - they have a 650 ton pressbrake !

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

I have a very very crude version of that in the garage for Land Rover bits and bobs, I was thinking of a version of that but to use a tube of a suitable diameter to suit the radius and then force the sheet round it like you would on the above link but not sure of what sort of force would be needed to do it ??????

Rich

Reply to
Rich