OT Write protected USB drive

My USB drive has decided it is now write protected so I can't write or delete anything. Been through all properties etc but can't free it.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Andy

Make sure the box marked 'read only' isnt ticked, worked for me.

Reply to
Nige

On one Mrs_D has there is a physical difference on the stick it's self.. this particular one is like a gravity usb stick for a better description only with 2 settings of outness of the usb bit which retracts. ... Look for something physical unless it's one with just a pull off pocket fluff deflector.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee, I though that too, it does slide in and out of the case but there are no tabs or slots to move etc. It was fine for a while then decided to do this. Tried to format it but that won't work either. It's heading for the bin!!!

Reply to
Andy

Which OS? Have you used it on one system as administrator?

If you are using Win2k or XP, try right clicking on the icon, select "security" and then "take control" of the drive.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Andy uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Mrs_D suggests trying to get the box to pop up as you plug the usb in that allows you to open as a folder etc etc. She finds that helps on occasions... as well as some USB drives being fussy about which slot they are plugged in to and always wanting to go on the same slot on each machine you use.

Other than that I've no idea.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

What make and size is it...

There are some registry entries that can force certain drives to be write protected.

Also....

Its not full is it....?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Was it last used (written) on a PC on which you had no rights? I think that Stuart was thinking along these lines, too.

When you say it is 'write protected' I presume that's the whole truth. You can see files, you can copy files but you just can't add/delete files.

Reply to
Dougal

I know that on linux, if a drive starts showing errors the filesystem is marked read-only so you don't wreck it any further before you have a chance to get stuff off, so might be worth checking if there are media errors.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings