Overworked left leg (clutch question).

My 90 has always had a really hard clutch, which is something I accepted as part of its character. The problem is that a fall off my bike seems to have left some slight damage, which means my leg hurts occasionally after I use the Landy in traffic. It looks like I'm not the only one having trouble, but I didn't find any proper solutions. The "use the V8's larger master cylinder" suggestion for other Defenders doesn't apply, as mine's already a V8.

Is there any way to convince the clutch to be more cooperative, either by installing a different/larger pump or using some sort of assistance? Have any backward-compatible improvements been incorporated in later models (after 1988 in my case)? Cheap and easy-to-do would be great but isn't a must if the solution is permanent and reliable[1].

[1] For Land Rover standards of reliable.
Reply to
Geo

Yep, fit a remote brake servo from a rover P6 or MGB V8 - they were single circuit and will help with clutch assistance. I did this on my own 110 V8 years ago, before converting it to auto. You may wish to source a vacuum tank from a series 2 XJ6 Jag, and plumb that in as well, to give a good reserve of vacuum....? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Fri, 16 Oct 2009 19:10:24 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

Seen that done on a hand-control conversion.

(OP) have a look at the pedal and see howe many return springs it has and how strong. LR seem to be paranoid about the pedal not returning properly... not that it does have to return "home", but not as violently as they often do. That spring is just another thing fighting your clutch leg...

Reply to
Austin Shackles