Pistons...

Hi all, So my frothy coolant/head gasket change has revealed a cracked piston, so I've decided whilst all the top and sump are off, to replace all four, the bores all look in pretty good condition so it shouldn't be to much of a drama, thing is the pistons all have 020 stamped on them. Does this mean I need to buy the 020/20thou pistons to replace them with?

Thanks in advance

Smudge

Reply to
Smudge

It means they're 20-thou oversize pistons, in other words it's been bored out once already. You can get new +20-thou ones to put in there, but personally I'd consider getting it bored to +40-thou and fit new +040 pistons to match. Looking in pretty good condition and being in pretty good condition are not necessarily the same thing. Besides, if you fit another set of +20's you're starting with brand new pistons in half-worn bores. If you're intending to keep it for any decent length of time after the work's done then bite the bullet. :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'd like to bore it out, but its an '86 110 with 140k on the clock, and I have no facilities to get the block out at home, and therfore I'm looking at a lot of cash to get it towed to a workshop and have the engine removed before I even get into reboring. Realistically the baulkhead and chassis have only got a couple of years left in them, so its dificult to justify the cost...

Reply to
Smudge

From memory, you have to be careful about fitting new rings into "old" bores. There will be a ridge at the top of the bore which could smash your new rings the first time it is turned over. For a BMC A series you used to be able to get a set of stepped rings to prevent this. No idea if they are available for your engine.

May be talking b*ll*cks, but hey, it's usenet!

David

Reply to
rads

I remember my father fussing around with feeler gauges between piston and cylinder wall, and there's the possible wear-step as an indicator as well. We ended up replacing a couple of pistons on a 2.25 diesel without doing a rebore, and the engine outlasted the chassis (Exposure to salt water launching a lifeboat, back in the Seventies, and we retired it a qyarter-century later).

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around 15 May 2006 08:04:19 -0700, "Smudge" enlightened us thusly:

which engine? if it's a TDi, it'd be worth the expense in that you could either sell it later or transplant it into a better chassis later.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I did a VM piston replacment with no issues.

I say go for the Pistons, It's a Landrover at the end of the day not a F1 racer. If she blows up in 20 thousand miles hey ho! Chances are if cared for you'll need to replace summat else before the bores get that bad again, especially as it's been done once.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I've heard of people getting their engines rebored on site without removing the block from the car.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

From memory when I partially rebuilt a mini engine there are large piston rings available which allow for worn bores. You will need to hone the bores though (using one of these

)otherwise the step at the top will knacker the top ring in double quicktime.

Regards

Phil Gardiner

Reply to
Phil Gardiner

You've got 3 options:

- use a ridge removing tool to take the wear ridge out of the bore (IMO the worst option)

- use 'normal' rings but chamfer the top edge of the top ring slightly with a file (sounds drastic, works very well)

- use 'ridge-dodger' stepped rings as suggxted above (the best option, but quite possibly bloody expensive or unavailable)

Reply to
EMB

Honing a cylinder does NOT remove the wear ridge - it merely de-glazes the bore to allow the new rings to bed in and seal.

Reply to
EMB