Pop quiz! 90/110 tyres sizes... working out gearing

Just a quick Q... (or two) I'm just running some gear ratios thought excell for my 2A and I'm using early 90/110 gearing as an example to check mine against. Did the 2 1/4 diesel 110 come as standard with 750R16 / 235/70R16 size tyres? And did the

90 NA diesle (only 2 1/2?) come with 205R16s? I'm sure others where options but just going for the bog standard specs! Now, lets go for the £1million Q and I've only got Ask the Audience left! Did the 110 2 1/4 diesel have the 1.667 transfer box where as the the 90 had the 1.41?? If this is all right... the 2 1/4 110 must have been bloody slow and noisy! I'm working out how much gearing my 2A will pull with a bit more power.. Thanks! Toby
Reply to
TVS

According to my 90/110 owner's handbook LSM0054HB (Edition 2) dated 1984, the transfer ration for four cylinder (petrol and diesel) models was 1.4109 for the 90 and 1.6670 for the 110. This book covers the 2.5 diesel (I suspect edition 1 covered the 2.25) and 2.25 Petrol, but I'd nearly bet the ratio was the same. JD

Reply to
JD

I once had a 2.25 110 (petrol), yes it was the 1.667 ratio and yes it was damn slow! 75mph was posible down a long hill, stopping was another issue though! I fitted a 2.5 diesel, turbo'd it and fitted a 1.41 t/box, then eventually gave up and slung in a zf auto and 4.0V8. Your tyre sizes of

750x16 and 205R16 for 110 and 90 respectively are correct for std fit. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

Thanks for the replies! I'm actualy going to turbocharge my 2 1/4 5main diesel... now I've heard a few horor stories about other pepol doing this but I like living life on the edge ;-) I'm going for the manifolds and turbo from the 2.5 TD engine simply as they will bolt straight on but I've done the maths and worked out that a Garrett GT15 would be very nice. I'm simply going to increase the fueling on the CAV pump by something like 20%. Should give performance very simular to the 2

1/4 petrol. Also will be using an intercooler. I do actualy have a EGT gauge which I may fit and then have a futher play with the pump. Would be very intrested to read more about other pepols experiences.... Thanks! Toby

PS Does anybody have a spare TD inlet manifold they might like to pass on for some beer tokens? :)

Reply to
TVS

Wouldnt it be easier and safer to start with an engine that is already turbo'd, and just transplant that in to your landy? Or is being 'easier' not the point? :-)

Are you not tempted by that jag lump soon to be wasting away round at Lee's house. Surely that has more potential for fun.. ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods