Porous Rear Axle

Just had my '91 Disco back from its MOT.

All fine apart from an advisory that the rear axle was rusted and had become porous.

On closer inspection there does seem to be a small amout of oil on the surface of the axle.

Is this a case of keeping an eye of the oil levels and topping up when required or is a new axle in order. If so am I looking at serious money?

Anyone care to comment?

Cheers.

Jono

Reply to
Jonathan Williams

Presume you're talking about the diff pan. You can get replacements to weld on, but in my opinion its not worthwhile. One of the best repairs I've done is the following, which should avoid it ever rusting through again:

Drain oil

Clean up diff pan with angle grinder mounted wire brush, 'til really good and shiny.

Wipe down with petrol or meths to get rid of any oil residue.

Fibreglass/ resin entire diff pan - maybe 3-4 layers coarse + top. Be careful to get the edges neat/ fold free.

Prime / paint

Should take about 1/2 day

Andy

Reply to