Audi Coupe Quattro (1990)

I'm considering buying an 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro with 125,000mi. on it from a dealership in my area. They're asking ~$5,000 for it which I think is ridiculous, Edmunds reports it true value at around $3,300 from a dealer. I'm probably going to check it out sometime next week and would appreciate any tips from the knowledgeable people in this group.

What should I look for during the test drive and under the hood? I don't know a whole lot about fixing cars, but I'm sure I could check for simple things myself. (a real mechanic will look it over if I'm happy after the test drive.) I've heard that one has to be careful with the timing belt. How often should it be replaced and what is a reasonable price for this including labor? I've also read that the water pumps go. Again, if anyone know what a reasonable price for this service is I'd love to hear from you.

My final question: Could some other '90 Coupe Quattro owners out there pitch in and give me their opinions regarding this car and it reliability?

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt Restko

I paid (a lot) $4,300 for a '91 100Q 5spd with 87K and almost like new a year ago. This is the fourth type 44 that I have owned.

You haven't given enough information to really assess the value. Condition? Turbo? Auto or 5 speed?

These can range from $400 to $3000 + depending on options and condition.

Turbos and 5 speeds are MUCH preferred and command the highest price.

Again, depends on turbo, auto / stick ... Look for:

- oil dips

- Steering rack and hydraulic pump leaks

- Error codes on the display

- Radiator fan runs when air cond on?

- windows and door handles / locks all operate

- Radio OK

- Heater / air cond and fan operates

- electric seats function

- any clunking in the suspension

- good idle at 850 rpm

If this is the turbo it is an interference engine so very important that TB is changed on schedule. Should cost about $500 + with the water pump and front crank seal included. Even if it is not a turbo it should be changed every 60,000 miles.

Tony '91 100Q 5spd

107K and still like new.
Reply to
TonyJ

Update:

I called some mechanics in my area today to get some quotes on what servicing might cost. Below are the general prices that I was quoted, could anyone who knows pitch in and let me know if they sound reasonable?

Timing Belt & Water Pump: $450-$800 Oil Change: $30-$50(dealership) Brakes: $130-150 per axle; $180 per axel for Audi parts General Service Inspection: $30 - $88 - $400+ (I assume there is so much variance because different mechanics assumed different amounts of work.)

When I mentioned to one mechanic that I was considering buying an older model Audi he told me that he had just seen one the had "a completely rusted-out frame" and that older Audis in general have tremendous suspension problems. Can anyone comment on this?

Reply to
Matt Restko

Never heard of this happening b4.

They do not have any more suspension problems that any other car with similar mileage.

Can anyone comment on this?

Reply to
TonyJ

My sis-in-law has a '90 80q, which is pretty close (LOL.) OK, not so close.

For $5k, here's what I would want:

- Full, verifiable service history.

- Perfect paint and interior. I mean dead-perfect.

- Everything works, especially the climate control system.

- Outside Audi expert mechanic verify that curiously-low mileage number. It'll be the best $200-$400 you spend. Even if you don't buy the car. ESPECIALLY if you don't buy the car.

- 1-week return for full refund, in writing. That way, you can drive it and see all the niggles before you really are out any cash.

- Suspension noise (clunks, groans, etc.)

- Fluid leaks. Pull the under-engine pan to look.

If you're going to ignore all that, then at least just walk in with high Blue Book, in cash, and say "take it or I walk." No BS, no waffling - but if they don't take it, then you're in no worse shape than when you walked in. Or wait 'til closer to the end of the month, when the guys are trying to make monthly quota.

And if you can't verify the service history, the very first stop (before you take it home) is the mechanic for a timing belt and water pump. (And crankshaft seal, if that model eats those.)

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Thanks alot for that great breakdown! Just to let you know, I have no intention of paying anywhere near the $5,000 asking price -- the dealership has had this car listed way too long for them to hold out for that much money if a real buyer comes in offering less. There is no way in hell that I would even think about purchasing this car until I give it a very rigirous test drive and have a qualified mechanic look it over. When you mentioned suspension noise -- is that because you know of older model Audis having suspension trouble, or is it just a general precaution?

Again, Thanks alot. -Matt

Reply to
Matt Restko

Note: I editted out a line here (you got it anyway); let me put it back in:

Make very sure the car is free from:

Very smart used car buyer. :)

I would consider it a general precaution, but especially true on Audis, where the suspension has a bunch of expensive-to-replace bushings. Keep 'em lubed! :)

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Okay, the Coupe I was looking at was sold by the dealer before I got a chance to see it. However, there is another one listed in the classifieds, its a little hazy on the details (i.e. no mileage listed) but its essentially the same thing I was looking at before: 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

5spd, black asking price is $4,000. The add also mentions "rebuilt head." I assume this means that something broke and did damage to the cylinder head, thus it had to be replaced. What does this do to the value of the car? Will the reliablity change (for better or for worse)?

-Matt

Reply to
Matt Restko

You haven't mentioned if these are turbos but if they are and if the timing belt broke then it ate valves (interference engine). Rebuilding the head is the nest step. If it was done well it should not have negative impact of the performance or reliability. In fact, it has new valves and guides - a good thing.

T> Okay, the Coupe I was looking at was sold by the dealer before I got a

Reply to
TonyJ

Nope, neither of these cars are turbos. However, I think that they still have interference engines.

classifieds,

Reply to
Matt Restko

Nope, not interference if NA.

T>>You haven't mentioned if these are turbos but if they are and if the >

Reply to
TonyJ

Tony,

You seem to know.... Is my V-6 interference?

Thanks,

Ron

Reply to
reply

Reply to
TonyJ

Reply to
Petkan

Okay, I called the current owner and I am going to go look at the car today. He said that the engine was rebuilt 11K miles ago. In this case, how do I enter mileage into things like Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds TMV...do I use 11K (mileage on rebulit engine) or 195K (mileage on chassis), or do I split the difference and go with 103K? He also said that brakes were replaced 30K miles ago, I assume this means that they'll be due for a replacement oon -- how much should I expect this to cost?

Reply to
Matt Restko