power output FC101 engine

Couple of weeks ago I mounted a revised 101 engine in my '81 Rangie. First I had some problems determining the proper oil level in this engine, has been solved now. Done 3000 mls now. Oil consumption 1000 mls/ ltr. (no valve guide seals?) Power output dissapointing, don't know what's normal for a 3.5 ltr carb rangie engine, but on Autoroutes in france hill up I've to go down to 3rd gear, 50mls on average climbs, empty car. I know it's is a heavy car, but I thought it should be a fine trailer puller. Or is the 101 engine a less powerfull engine than the original rangie engine. Measured compression ratio , cold engine, all cyl's around 120 lbs. seems quite low to me, maybe 101 has low compression to accept all grade petrols? Therefore low power output?

Thks

kees

Reply to
k.w

Put the carbs and induction manifold from an SD1 on!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In fact I mounted the carbs and manifold from the original Rangie engine. It's running on LPG, but hardly no difference in power between driving on petrol or LPG. Strangely enough it's running smooth when it's just heated up. After some time it's running like it's missing 1 or 2 cylinders, only under load, makes no difference when on LPG or petrol. Downhill or stationery it's running very nice. HC value is also high (unburned fuel), ignition is OK, has new cables and plugs, breaker points. When I take out the sparkplugs after a long ride, they're all looking similar and nicely grey.

Kees

Reply to
k.w

Shouldn't they be a beige/buff sort of colour (unless gas makes a difference?).

I would have though grey was a bit lean? No doubt Badger will be along in a min to correct me!

Still put an SD1 inlet on though, something around 160hp :-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

IME they should be damned near white running on gas.

Reply to
EMB

Unless you've got one of the magic boxes to adjust the timing between petrol and LPG you've got a timing problem. If it's properly timed for LPG it should be pinking it's arse off under load on petrol. Being sluggish even on petrol makes me wonder if it's a wee bit retarded.

Reply to
EMB

k.w uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Standard 101 Engines came with resrtictors fitted in to the Air intake in to the carb. Many are already removed but a few remain.

Lee D

Reply to
Dr_D

k.w wrote: Therefore low power output?

Says 120bhp...

Reply to
Tim Guy

And this suggestd 135....

Tim Guy

I think this was only the LC (8.12:1?) 110s, the 101 has the normal

9.35:1 rangie engine with no restrictors and 135 BHP.

Spark gap seems to make a big difference to running on LPG, it needs to be a bit less than spec but certainly no bigger.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

compression

Quite often grey to white if the CO is set correctly.

150 (ish) bhp, if it's a 9.35:1c.r. engine and has the sd1 camshaft (ETC6850/ERC2003), not the low-lift wide-torque profile (ETC6849) as fitted to most rangies and 101's of the period (8.13:1c.r.). Badger.
Reply to
Badger

Thanks for the replies.Still leaves me one thing to wonder.I think the cylinder heads of the 101 engine differ from the other V8-s. When you look at the spark plugs, they are short -threaded for the 101 and long for the others. When I look at the pistons through the spark plug hole, they are less concaved than the pistons of the old (8.13) engine.So, I expect the volume of the burning chamber inside the head to be bigger than the 8.13 engine. When I should replace the heads with the heads of the old engine, compression ratio would be a lot higher.

Kees

Reply to
k.w

Hmmmm.... must be an early engine then, pre-SD1.

There is only about 1.5 to 2cc difference in chamber volume from P6 style (early) heads to SD1 (late) heads, the c.r. is effectively set by the pistons, not the heads. Please note, I'm not including the late 10-bolt heads in that statement! It's possible (highly probable, in fact) your engine has been rebuilt at some time and has been built with a mixture of parts. It's highly likely from your symptoms that you have a seriously worn camshaft as well. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

AJH uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well they feature in the Military Workshop manual.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D