Radiator

Hi all,
Okay Japenses spec Discovery 2.5TDI XS export, 1996 on a British P reg..
Had a good read of the Haynes manaul which is about as much use a chocolate
fireguard. How do I drain tthe radiator? Haynes says take off bottom hose and drain, but on drivers side there isn't one and passenger side is angled upwards and will leave half the radiator full. I want to give it a good flush and stick some new coolant in.
Help appreaciated or anyone near me in Hartlepool, show me what to do?
Andy
Should read Japanese
Andy

Andrew:
You can back flush the radiator by running the engine with the bottom hose off while filling the system with fresh water from a garden hose. When the water coming from the hose is clear the entire system will have been flushed remember to turn on the heat to expel the coolant in the heater core.
Jack
enlightened us thusly:

that's an interesting technique. But I bet it's no more likely to clear a blocked rad than any other I've tried. The problem I've always found is that the size of any water supply you can reasonably apply to the job will happily flow through about half the rad tubes without generating any pressure. Unfortunately, half the rad tubes only give you half the cooling.

Back-flushing is far more effective.
Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
RISC-OS - Where have all the good guys gone?

yeah, but my point is that to clear more than a few tubes requires a bigger water supply than can readily be supplied. once say about 40 tubes are clear, you can't generate pressure to blast the others without supplying ever more water. a largeish pump would do it, provided you could regulate the pressure sutiably, or you risk blowing the rad apart instead. I'm takling here about properly blocked rads, not once with just a littel bit of crud in 'em.
"There is plenty of time to win this game, and to thrash the Spaniards