Re: 300 TDI Discovery

My LRD 1995 has developed a squeal from the "fan" bearing this is the one

> that supports the pulley. > > I have been quoted $700 for the complete Plate which houses the bearing and > seal. > Can anyone tell me the bearing No. or a cheaper way of replacing this unit > > Ta! AMOZZIE

It's possibly the tensioner rather than the 'fan' bearing. The bearing is commonly available and is worth about $8 however the odds are strong that the bearing is not actually your problem. It seems that the post supporting the bearing and pulley assembly gets misaligned, causing the squeal, and the only repair is to replace the complete tensioner assembly. Personal experience :-)

Having said that, $700 seems a bit dear; mine was $250 (Lens Landrovers) in early 2001. I gather your are in NT or SA; in which case a call to Rovparts, Lens Landrovers or LandRanger Spares might find you a better price. Prestige will be the place of last resort.

Cheers

Reply to
David Robley

Had exactly same problem. Cured by taking off belt and raplacing it front - to - back. Tried a new tensioner, no effect. Hope this helps

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lomax