discovery 300 series fan belt

Does or has anybody suffered fan belt problems on 300 disco? I've now managed to shred 2 of them.They are a fair old size and because of that I never carried a spare only to suffer the embarrassment of being relayed 150 miles home by the AA.The only clue I've got is that the tensioner on the top seems to bounce or resonate some what. Keith Holman snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk

Reply to
dogs12

Hmm, is your belt really worn or are you just alarmed by the screaming sound?

The latter is a common problem of the spanroll bearing worn out, sounds terrible like a worn out multibelt but has no effect to the belt at all.

Jurjen

dogs12 wrote:

Reply to
Jurjen

Hi,

If that tensioner is bouncing, something is wrong somewhere. My Tdi doesn't do anything like that.

Two things spring to mind - Firstly, is the tensioner actually working or has the spring in it failed? Or Secondly, one of the auxillaries is on it's way out. I had a Renault 18 that started eating fan belts - we traced it to the water pump bearing failing.

I must say I suspect the second - if a bearing has gone in alternator/water pump/power steering causing the pulley to trun unevenly, that would explain your symtpoms.

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

Hi Keith, have just repaired such a problem on a friends 300Tdi. The belt ,I take it, wears at the front ie radiator side?

If so the problem is caused by the tensioner. The 2 parts of the tensioner are seperated by a "teflon" type plate. With time this wears unevenly, and results in the drivers side being very worn and thin and the passenger side only wears about 90% or so.

This wear causes the tensioner to run at a slight angle ( bends outwards from engine) and this then guides the belt into the front of the water pump pulley where it gets chewed.

Two solutions:

  1. Replace the tensioner with a new one (Good news they are cheaper now than a few years back)

  1. Make up a shim to fit behind the whole tensioner on the drivers side to compensate for the wear in the "teflon plate". This is only a temporary fix. I've done this, using emery paper, as a "bush repair" to get a vehicle home, but wouldn't recomend it as a long term solution. However by doing 2, you can confirm the solution before parting with your "hard earned" and going with 1.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson