Re: Offline

Better, many would say. pcAnywhere now seems to have come to the point of releasing new versions for the sake of it. V11 seems to do the same as V10, but with a different box. We use it for legacy clients, but now more commonly use

or VNC depending on the available connectivity.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Going back to my dead drive, I read on the net it's possible to convert your bathroom into a dust free zone with a little help from the shower, and take the cover off your drive to free stuck heads. I've even read about somebody who still had a living drive at the end of it! I wondered whether I could make up a dust free environment using a fish tank, some long armed (vet style) latex gloves, a hoover, some spare hoover filters, some cardboard and plenty of gaffa tape. Anybody think this will work?

David.

Reply to
David French

Well, apparently, I don't own it any more. The renewal I paid for is for the updates, not the product. And when I bought the product, I paid for the download, not to actually own the product outright. So, bye bye Symantec.

I had a bad experience with McAfee once, so that seems to leave Panda, Trend (both a bit more expensive), or Grisoft AVG. Has anybody tried this one? Small Czech company but I'm trialling it at the moment.

I'll also take a look at f-prot. Suggestions and experiences welcome. Sorry this is OT but it's quite important to me and I value your opinions...

David

Reply to
David French

We use F-Prot for our mailserver scanning, as it has a very tidy command line system which triggers to scan each message and then sods off out of the way. Regular updates and not much gets through.

We have Symantec on the servers which also works fine. It also rolls out to all the client laptops and desktops from a central management console.

There's something else between LAN and WAN, but I'd have to ask the techies and they are fiddling with a black box in a dark room somewhere!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:12:35 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

Grisoft has had good reporrts form them as use it. I think it stopped being free or something, for personal use, but I've never had a problem with paying reasonable fees for AV softaware licence and updates - after all, they're running a server which I can connect to at any time and get updates, I currently do this every 2 days, but AFAIK f-prot don't place any restriction in updating.

personal experience with f-prot - downloaded a trial one, decided I thought it looked OK, and went through their online upgrade thing. Tried to get updates, wouldn't work. e-mailed them to this effect, got a reply about the next working day apologising for the fact that my details were wrongly entered into their database, and since then it's worked fine. told the firewall software to trust their server and now it updates through the firewall with no trouble.

I've an idea it does mail stuff as well, but since I use agent for mail, I don't use that bit. trying to launch any virus-files from agent triggers it though.

just been reading the help... it has a thing called real-time protector which is triggered by any file access, even clicking on things, and checks that file. doesn't specifically mention any mail apps.

it does, I see, have an option to send e-mail reporting a virus infection, which I guess could be dead handy if it was running on a remote server.

Reply to
Austin Shackles