Dresiing for soft top?

Hi Guys, I own a 2005 NC Limited Edition and I'm looking for some type of dressing to use on the soft top. Being the fabric style I'm not sure what I can usre without leaving white marks and/or damaging the membrane. Contacted Meguires here in Oz and they were unable to recommend anything "but we're searching the world to find a product we can put into our range"

Any suggestions appreciated.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

Do you get Autoglym products over there? They do a soft top pack which is great for the fabric roof (NOT good for the vinyl roof)

Reply to
Tommy

Yeah, we do get Auto Glym....but not the dressing. Have read some bad reports on the product...and some very good ones too. I'm reluctant to get some in based upon the bad ones

Have you used it?

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

note: there are different products to use to restore/protect vinyl tops and fabric tops. the below applies to either but be sure you get the correct product for your type of top. my understanding is that virtually all fabric auto tops are made from a fabric from a company called haartz. sunbrella is another company that makes fabric for tops but they are generally found on marine products (boat covers, bimini tops, etc) and on window awnings. haartz had recommended a product called 303 high tech fabric guard for over 25 years, but in recent years has recommended a different product called raggtopp. i used the raggtopp product on my aftermarket haartz fabric top (95 na) a couple of years ago and the results were spectacular, the color which was not in bad shape was restored to like new and the beading came back. the next time i tried raggtopp, about a year and half later, it was a disaster. the product is in a aerosol can and they did something to the nozzle that had resulted in a mist so fine that it is now impossible to apply the product outdoors as the slightest wind carries the spray off before it ever touches the top. even after moving indoors and applying a couple of coats they did not bead like the first year. i exchange some emails with the company and all i will say is that they were less than professional in their responses (like their web site). i then discovered 303 high tech fabric guard and gave it a try. it comes in a manual pump spray bottle and is easy to control. the product works great. in my experience, raggtopp may have produced better results in terms of beading the first time i used it (before they changed it), but it was effectively useless when i last tried it. 303 is much less fussy and very easy to apply, even if outdoors. make sure your top is bone dry before you apply either of these products, and that it is allowed to bask in a hot sun for several hours before the top comes into contact with any rain for the first time (allow the product to dry completely, not just to the touch). here are the manufacturers sites...

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Christopher Muto

I did BUT I've a "plastic" roof so the cleaner was fine, but the dressing was not succesful - we all have to learn the hard way sometimes :(

I actually use somethingelse now :)

Reply to
Tommy

Thanks Tommy. I haven't been able to find anyone here that has used anything on a fabric top...yet. They appeared in 2005 on the NC and are apparently holding up well without attention other than regular washing.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

Reply to
Christopher Muto

No Christopher, It didn't appear in my newsreader. If you could repost I'd appreciate it.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

note: there are different products to use to restore/protect vinyl tops and fabric tops. the below applies to either but be sure you get the correct product for your type of top. my understanding is that virtually all fabric auto tops are made from a fabric from a company called haartz. sunbrella is another company that makes fabric for tops but they are generally found on marine products (boat covers, bimini tops, etc) and on window awnings. haartz had recommended a product called 303 high tech fabric guard for over 25 years, but in recent years has recommended a different product called raggtopp. i used the raggtopp product on my aftermarket haartz fabric (not vinyl) top (95 na) a couple of years ago and after a bad start the results were spectacular. the first time i used raggtop the top had a white streaking to it that looked awful. this came off with another cleaning with the top cleaner. i was told to hold the spray further away from the top (two feet or so) and let the spray rain down on the top. results were great, the color which was not in bad shape was restored to like new and the top beaded rain again like when new. next time i tried raggtopp, about a year and half later, it was a disaster. the product is in a aerosol can and they did something to the nozzle that had resulted in a mist so fine that it is now impossible to apply the product outdoors as the slightest wind carries the spray off before it ever touches the top. even after moving indoors and applying a couple of coats they did not bead like the first year. i exchange some emails with the company and all i will say is that they were less than professional in their responses (like their web site). i then discovered

303 high tech fabric guard and gave it a try. it comes in a manual pump spray bottle and is easy to control. the product works great. in my experience, raggtopp may have produced better results in terms of beading the first time i used it (before they changed it), but it was effectively useless when i last tried it. 303 is much less fussy and very easy to apply, even if outdoors. make sure your top is bone dry before you apply either of these products, and that it is allowed to bask in a hot sun for several hours before the top comes into contact with any water for the first time (allow the product to dry completely, not just to the touch). these are the manufacturers sites...
wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Reply to
Christopher Muto

Thanks Chris, Sounds like a good product...now to see if I can get it here in Oz or if I need to import.