ROT - electrical sockets and switches

As part of our extension we are completely rewiring the house. I'm about to order 50-odd double sockets and associated gubbins from Screwfix. I have a choice of all the usual suspects - MK, Volex, Crabtree etc. They are all white with 3 holes in them...

Anyone got any idea what the difference between them is, if anything?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Usually price mate. they all conform to the relevant BS & are CE marked.

I find Mk are usually better made with better & longer screws. I wouldn't stress too much either way & whatever you do, don't use screwfix, they are VERY expensive for that kind oif thing.

Get a bulk load price from a local independant electrical wholesaler. They need the business etc.

Reply to
Nige

Another thing, if you let me know what your best porice is, I can propobably get them sent to you from our local wholesaler as we are heavy user (of that kind of kit!!) so get big discounts etc.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I do find that it is better to get sockets with double terminals on the back (for the ring) makes wiring alot easier.

Personaly I prefer Clipsal.

Reply to
Paul Smart

Sparky suggested screwfix as they are cheaper than owt he can get round here. It's all being done at 'mates rates' so he's happy for me to source. When I've got some prices I'll ask you how your prices stack up

- there's a serious list running to just short of a grand so far...

Any thoughts about fire protection then - that's your game isn't it? Is there anything I ought to do above and beyond smoke detectors as per building regs?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Sun, 07 Jan 2007 19:07:35 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

IME, MK are (were, anyway) about the best. all the other "branded" ones such as crabtree, volex etc are pretty good. I'd not recommend elcheapo white box ones especially for any sockets with heavy loads, the terminal bits inside tend to be less well made and thus less likely to contact well.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

Go for MK, and not just for sockets but light switches too, the cheap ones are harder to use and won't last. Greg

Reply to
Greg

In article , Tim Hobbs writes

If you're in the West Country,

is a Screwfix competitor (started by the founder of Screwfix, who sold same to B+Q some years back).

Standard twin white 13A sockets are really cheap, as are most of their electrical stuff. They do mail order, but I'm not sure about the area they cover, nor the cost-effectiveness. I prefer the 'generic' style as it matches the old MK stuff elsewhere in the house. To my eye the current 'contemporary' MK stuff looks ugly.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig