Series 1 1997cc engine identification for different cylinder bore spacing

Hi

I believe that initially with the overbored 1.6l there were problems with overheating due to the very small gap between the cylinder bores. From sometime later, was it around 1956?, the bore centres where increased. How do you identify which type of 2l engine you have? Is there a cutoff point with serial numbers or a number change or are there any visible differences on the block of these later engines?

Thanks for any help

Baz

Reply to
Barry Cade

Hi Baz, I've got an old workshop manual that (in the general data section) says the bore size of 1948/51 is 69.5mm and the bore size of 1952/58 as

77.8mm and both with a stroke of 105mm which will be the 1.6L and 2L respectively if my arithmetic is correct. Now 4 pages previously it says to fit liners the block has to bored to sizes 74.6mm for 1948/51 and 80.97mm for 1952/54 and 82.42mm for 1955/58 from which I assume the '52/54 and '55/58 are both 2Litre with some differences occurring between 1954 and 1955 backed up by the fact that the part numbers also changed for the block between '54 and '55 ( 1954 236191 and 1955 to 242570). The engine numbers changed every year (and some for different models but not in these years), the engine numbers for 1954 starting with 471***** and for 1955 starting with 571***** which may give you an idea which engine you want. From this I assume some changes were made to the block and/or liners even though the finished bore (of 77.8mm) remained the same.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Oily
1.6 litre and early 2 litre engines had a bypass oil filter on the LHS of the engine as seen from the driver's seat. The later 2 litre engines had a full flow filter on the RHS.

Gordon.

Reply to
gordon

Yes, of course, I had forgotten about those differences, should make it very easy to spot. Also when the starter changed from the single bolt fixing to the later Series 1,2 and 3 type. And the changeover point for these is again '54/'55, the memory fades with time. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Not sure when that change happened, I've got early 2 litre engines with both single bolt starters and the "modern" 3 bolt type.

Gordon.

Reply to
gordon