Series III won't Idle

Have just obtained a very beaten up series III that has been on a farm for

20 years or so. Petrol 4 cylinder circa 1972. Was running on 3 cylinders and after redoing head was back to 4 cylinders (valve seats really poor but OK'ish now). Runs fine but dies if you back off the throttle too quickly at low revs (like less than 2000rpm). If you ease off very carefully it will hold and idle smoothly - well most of the time. Have played around with the carby jet settings (over full range) but makes no difference. Used to idle better when only running on 3 cylinders and bugger all compression due to leaky valves. Any ideas gratefully accepted.
Reply to
warren mcpherson

I'd set the timing up from scratch, then have another go at the carb, possibly someones "tuned" it to run on three.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Or it may be the normal Series 111 carb allowing petrol to bypass to the jet, making adjustment useless. I know you have to block the spare space that causes the problem but can't seem to find the old instructions...anyone?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

A full carb overhaul kit is around a tenner, though new gaskets and O- ring around the carb throat may be enough.

Lapping the joint between top and bottom may be the best answer.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Mine only idles when it wants to, I have to be ready to coax it at the traffic lights when it has a bad mood.

A bugger to start as well when it has been left a few days.

Reply to
Larry

Mine only idles when it wants to, I have to be ready to coax it at the traffic lights when it has a bad mood.

A bugger to start as well when it has been left a few days.

Reply to
Larry

Thanks everyone, I'll try the suggestions and report back to the group when I solve it.

Reply to
warren mcpherson