shot blasting equipment

Hi All,

can anyone recommend sand/grit blasting equipment. I'm going to be using it for blasting my landy and doing a 40foot articulated trailer prior to painting both.

I have found this in the back of a landy mag.

has anyone got one of these or had any dealings with them?

any info is greatly appreciated.

Rav

Reply to
rav_k

Take them to a shotblaser to have them done, it would probably take months with the equipment you've seen. (or get them to come out to you)

Reply to
Jimmy Bean

Thanks for the response Jimmy.

I would like to have a go myself. is the equipment listed below not up to this sort of job??? i'm sorry if this all sounds a bit silly, but i've heard of people blasting chassis' in a few hours, what sort of gear would they be using???

thanks again

Rav

Reply to
rk

Dry shot or sandblasting is dirty, noisy and without the necessary air filtering potentially a risky task for anyone breathing in the dust that is created - not just the operator. If you've got neighbours they'll love you!! The mess is horrific - dust gets into everything - dont do it within a mile of where you intend doing any painting. You need the largest air compressor you can afford - then double its size so you can work continuously - high pressure and large volumes of air are required to be effective.

Wet sandblasting IMHO is the way to go - not risky to health other than cutting your fingers off if you put them in the water jet. Cheap high pressure washers from the likes of Stihl, Karcher etc etc all have sand blast siphons available. Dry washed sand is cheap compared to glass beads or steel beads.

Just my two bobs worth.

Reply to
Roger Martin

I Would agree with Roger.

Unless you are looking at doing an awful lot of blasting, I would rather just take it to a commercial sandblaster and get them to sort it out. You can barely run power tools off most domestic compresors and if you go to a commercial place, their compressor will usually occupy a fair sized room and run something like a 1 inch nozzle.

I tend to like doing things myself but trust me this is one best left to the pros. I am not sure about the water jet sandblasting idea. I just use my Karcher to clean the Landy. I don't think it is industrial enough to run grit blasting anyway.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Thanks for the info guys!!

please forgive my ignorance, but what is wet sandblasting?? from what i can tell is its just a pressure washer with a special attachment that uses "sand" and water, there fore acting as a sandblaster?? is this correct or am i hjust being thick??

cheers

Rav

Reply to
rk

Thats it pretty much. Very similar process to dry blasting except the water is the medium for providing the pressure. The pickup is by venturi whereas the units you put a link to are pressurised to force the beads out of a tube at the bottom of the container. Health issues with dry blasting are a real concern - the beads, paint, rust, etc. can all be toxic and whilst you maybe protected by wearing a respirator at the time - the fine dust will lay around for ages and be breathed in by everyone who comes near to it. Plus you never know what you are blasting off - lead based red oxide paints, plastics, fibre glass, etc etc. Ordinary sand is an absolute NO to use in dry blasting - the silica is very toxic in fine dust and can pass through even respirator filters.

I have a pressure washer that produces about 100bar and very low water usage so its ideal for doing smallish jobs - upto LR chassis etc. I also have a small bead blaster that works off a compressor and venturi but its a real pain during the wet season (Australia) as the compressor sucks in so much moisture that the two moisture traps cant cope and the venturi clogs up with a mixture of water and steel beads. The advantage is that the beads can be recycled if you use a blast cabinet.

Reply to
Roger Martin